Peter leads the firm's White Collar Defense and Corporate Compliance & Internal Investigations practices.
He has more than 25 years experience focusing on white collar criminal defense, physician and attorney disciplinary inquiries, and other regulatory and enforcement matters. In the past five years, he has had the good fortune of having charges against two securities defendants dismissed, post-indictment, by the Department of Justice (DOJ).
Peter's practice includes trial and appellate appearances in numerous federal and state courts. He has tried nearly 20 cases to verdict and argued almost as many appeals. He has represented individuals and entities in investigations conducted by the US attorneys offices in the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, as well as more than a dozen other districts and DOJ divisions across the nation; advocacy before the SEC, NASD, NYSE, and other securities regulators; internal corporate investigations; physicians before the Office of Professional Medical Conduct (OPMC); attorneys before the disciplinary committees; and post-conviction representations.
Peter prosecuted one of the first Department of Defense billing and false records cases in the Eastern District of New York. In addition, he has significant experience with proceedings under the Classified Information Procedures Act (CIPA) and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), as well as investigations into violations of economic sanctions regulations. He was involved in one of the first prosecutions in New York of a physician for the exercise of medical judgment (for whom he ultimately obtained clemency) and has lectured on this topic.
His clients, over the years, have included several who were embroiled in high-profile litigations, including the Mayor of the City of New York, the former Chief Judge of the New York Court of Appeals, and an individual involved in the granting of a Presidential pardon. He also has represented executives at several Fortune 500 corporations and major international business entities and hospitals.
Peter serves as an annual panelist on an ethics seminar presented by the New York County Bar Association. He has also participated in continuing legal education panels and other professional training activities, including teaching trial skills to students at Harvard, Fordham, Pace, and New York Law Schools.
After serving as a law clerk to US District Judge James Lawrence King, Peter began his practice by participating in a voting rights case before the US Supreme Court and a class action on behalf of Haitian refugees. He then was appointed special assistant to the head of the US Department of Justice's Civil Division in Washington, DC, during the presidency of Jimmy Carter, where he served as one of the division's liaisons to the Solicitor General's Office, and helped to manage litigation involving the American hostages taken in Iran, as well as challenges to the termination of the Taiwan Treaty, the imposition of an oil import tariff, and the publication of a former CIA agent's book.
He subsequently was appointed an assistant US attorney in the US Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York where, under US Attorneys Edward Korman and Raymond Dearie, he conducted over a dozen felony trials and investigated major tax, fraud, and corruption matters. He also argued a dozen cases before the Second Circuit. Later, he was a senior partner at Stillman & Friedman, where he practiced law from 1985 to 2006.
• Twenty-Four Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2014 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars , (10.03.2014)
• Sixty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2015 Edition , (08.18.2014)
• Fifty-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2014 Guide , (05.23.2014)
• Eighteen Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2013 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars , (09.16.2013)
• Sixty-Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2014 Edition , (08.15.2013)
• Forty-Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2013 Guide , (05.24.2013)
• Twenty-Four Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2012 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars , (09.20.2012)
• Sixty Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2013 Edition , (08.24.2012)
• Forty-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2012 Guide , (06.07.2012)
•Mentioned in Ruth Madoff Now Looks to Be on Greenwich Time, New York Daily News (03.11.2012)
• Twenty Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2011 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars , (09.23.2011)
• Forty-Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2012 Edition , (09.06.2011)
• Mintz Levin Attorney Peter Chavkin Receives International Law Office 2011 Client Choice Award for White Collar Crime , (04.07.2011)
• Thirty Four Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2011 Guide , (03.21.2011)
• Eighteen Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2010 New York Super Lawyers , (09.29.2010)
• Thirty-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2011 Edition , (08.11.2010)
• Mintz Levin Adds Six Attorneys to Chambers USA 2010 Guide , (03.23.2010)
• Thirteen Mintz Levin Attorneys Named New York Super Lawyers , (10.05.2009)
• Thirty-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2010 Edition , (07.31.2009)
• Mintz Levin Expands Health Care Enforcement Defense Practice Group , (07.06.2009)
• Twenty-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2009 Edition , (01.21.2009)
• Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Named New York Super Lawyers , (10.01.2008)
• Ten Mintz Levin Attorneys Named New York Metro Super Lawyers , (09.24.2007)
• Mintz Levin's Public Finance Section Expands Scope with Tax-Exempt Bond Controversy Resolution Practice , (09.04.2007)
• Peter A. Chavkin and Joel I. Papernik Named 2007 New York Area's Best Lawyers , (07.02.2007)
Awards & Recognitions
•Best Lawyers in America: White-Collar Criminal Defense (2007 - 2015)
•New York Super Lawyers: Criminal Defense: White Collar (2006 - 2014)
•Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition 2009: Criminal Defense: White Collar
•Chambers USA: New York (Band 1) - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigation (2010 - 2014)
•Phi Beta Kappa
•International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Award for White Collar Crime (2011)
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent (Also at Washington, D.C. and Stamford, CT Offices)