Peter Thompson, QC, counsel in the Ottawa office, practises as an advocate. His particular expertise is in matters relating to the regulation of natural gas and electricity utilities. He is recognized as one of Canada's leading lawyers. In 2009, Peter's energy law colleagues paid tribute to his lifetime achievements in energy regulation by naming him as a recipient of the prestigious Energy Bear Award.
Over the years, Peter has represented diverse clientele interests at all levels of the provincial and federal court systems, including the Supreme Court of Canada. He has some 40 years of experience in regulatory proceedings before federal and provincial energy tribunals. Attesting to his professional colleagues' regard for Peter's leadership skills is his concurrent service, for 25 of those years, as the Managing Partner of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP's legacy firm in Ottawa.
· More than 40 years of experience in advocating diverse interests in adversarial proceedings, at first instance and on appeal, before provincial and federal courts, the Supreme Court of Canada, and administrative tribunals, including, in particular, the Ontario and National Energy Boards.
· Counsel for Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters in regulatory proceedings before the Ontario Energy Board (2008-present).
· Counsel for affiliates of Repsol YPF in obtaining National Energy Board approval of the Brunswick Pipeline to carry Repsol's re-gasified Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) from the Canaport LNG facility in St. John, New Brunswick to Maritimes and US Northeast gas markets (2004-07).
· Counsel for the Industrial Gas Users Association (IGUA) in regulatory proceedings before the National and Ontario Energy Boards (1973-2008).
Rankings & Recognitions
· Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2014 edition (and since 2006) of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Energy Regulatory Law).
· Recognized in the 2013 editions of the Lexpert® Special Edition on the Leading Corporate Lawyers and the Lexpert® Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada.
· Recognized in the 2012 edition of Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (Energy - Oil & Gas).
· Recognized in the 2013 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Energy - Electricity; Energy - Oil & Gas).
· Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ 5 out of 5 Peer Review Rated.
· Contributor, energy-related programs sponsored by stakeholder groups, including the Industrial Gas Users Association Inc., Insight Canada Inc., Gas Fair Inc., The Canadian Electricity Association, Energy Law Forum, and Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters.
· Member, Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC), The Advocates' Society, Canadian Bar Association (CBA) and County of Carleton Law Association
· Former Instructor, "Civil Litigation," Bar Admission Course of the LSUC
· Former Contributor, continuing education programs sponsored by the LSUC and the CBA
· Generous supporter of community organizations, including Queen's University, the United Way, The Ottawa Hospital Foundation, and the Ottawa Boys and Girls Club.
· Inducted into Queen's University Football Hall of Fame, 1987
· Intercollegiate Football Coach, Carleton University, 1968-72
· Professional Football, Ottawa Rough Riders, 1965-67
· Intercollegiate Football, Queen's University (1959-64); selected by teammates as Football's Most Valuable Player (1962); Intercollegiate All-Star (1962, 1963 and 1964)