- Corporate Governance
- Mediation and Arbitration Neutrals
- Employment Law
- Business and Class Action Litigation
- Insurance and Indemnity
- Risk Management
|University ||Northwestern University, B.A., 1964|
|Law School||University of Denver College of Law, J.D., 1968|
|Admitted||1998, Colorado; U.S. Supreme Court; District of Columbia|
Memberships and Affiliations
•National Commercial Panelist and Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association
•Chairman, Colorado Judicial Institute
•fellow, American Bar Foundation
•fellow, Colorado Bar Association
•Commissioner, Colorado Supreme Court
• Office of District Attorney, Deputy District Attorney and Assistant District Attorney, Second Judicial District
• Commissioner for six years on the Colorado Supreme Court Nominating Committee
•Board of Directors, Colorado Judicial Institute
•President of the Board of Griffith Centers for Children
•general counsel to Christian Living Campus, LLC and Mountain States Employers' Council, Inc. Fellow: of the American Bar Foundation and
|Born||Sterling, Colorado, August 1, 1940|
Mr. Willis is of counsel in Kutak Rock LLP's Denver office in the litigation department. He handles a wide variety of corporate litigation cases and corporate counseling. He serves as an arbitrator on the National Panel of the American Arbitration Association in a significant number of commercial and large complex business cases. Mr. Willis provides advice on insurance issues, insurance contracts, and coverage including captive insurance company practices, corporate compliance and risk management litigation. He continues to practice litigation and counseling in partnership lawsuits, health care and assisted living care matters, trademark, trade name and intellectual property counseling and litigation. He also has experience and expertise in a broad range of telecommunications and cable matters. He is experienced in nonprofit law, nonprofit issues and governance.
He currently serves as general counsel to Mountain States Employers' Council, Inc; general counsel and Ex Officio Board member to Christian Living Campus, LLC.; President of the Board of Griffith Centers for Children; member of the Board of Trustees for the Iliff School of Theology; and a member of the Board of Directors of the Colorado Judicial Institute.
• Formerly was General Counsel, Litigation/Risk Management for U.S. West, Inc, the former Bell system regional telecommunications company, where he tried, managed and supervised complex telecommunications and civil suits for the company and all its subsidiaries.
• Former officer and President of the captive insurance company of U.S. West, Inc., the former Bell system regional telecommunications corporation, where he created, developed and counseled on corporate governance and insurance issues, including claims loss analysis, setting premiums and experience with actuaries.
• Member of the trial team in the antitrust matter Department of Justice v. AT&T where he participated in the trial and subsequent counseling in the divestiture of the Bell system. He served on the contingent liability committee managing major former Bell system antitrust, contract, employment, tort and telecommunications cases, including major EPA and environmental matters.
• Represented several complex class action lawsuits involving telecommunications practices and procedures.
• Represents a significant variety of clients on intellectual property, business tort, employment-related matters, commercial litigation, and general corporate advice and counseling.
• Mr. Willis was voted by his peers as one of the Top Colorado Super Lawyers for 2006 through 2013.
• Was one of 10 people featured in the 2006 Denver Business Journal's Power Book as one of the leaders in the field of law for his contribution to the business community and his commitment to excellence of the Colorado judiciary.
• Was the recipient of the 2007 DU Law Stars Outstanding Alumni Award and was inducted as a fellow of the American Bar Foundation and fellow of the Colorado Bar Foundation.
July 5, 2012 Peter Willis Appointed To Board At Iliff School
November 10, 2010 Willis Awarded For Volunteer Work
November 9, 2010 Super Lawyers Chooses Kutak Rock Western Attorneys
April 6, 2010 Colorado Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers List
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#1,140 in weekly profile views out of 11,571 lawyers in Denver, Colorado|
|#129,265 in weekly profile views out of 1,568,853 total lawyers Overall|