Peter prepares, prosecutes, and manages extensive patent and trademark portfolios on behalf of companies and academic institutions located throughout the United States, Asia, and Europe. His clients include academic and governmental research institutions; Global 1000 manufacturing, chemical, and pharmaceutical companies; emerging and developing biotechnology and small molecule pharmaceutical companies; and medical technology companies.
Peter's cases involve pharmaceuticals, specialty chemicals, biotechnology, medical devices, and other mechanical and electromechanical innovations, particularly as they relate to the automotive industry. He regularly provides opinions on issues of patent infringement and validity.
Peter has been quoted on intellectual property issues in publications including the New York Times, Bloomberg, the Los Angeles Times, the Boston Globe, American Lawyer, and Boston Business Journal.
Prior to joining the firm, he was a partner in the Boston office of another international law firm, where he served as co-chair of the firm's patent procurement practice. Peter is also an inventor on US Patent 4,977,173 "Aminomethyl Oxooxazolidinyl Ethenylbenzene Derivatives Useful As Antibacterial Agents," which covers predecessor development compounds to Pfizer's oxazolidinone antibacterial Zyvox, now in clinical use. Before law school, he pursued graduate studies in chemistry while employed as a synthetic organic chemist in a drug discovery group of E.I. DuPont de Nemours Co., Medical Products Department (later the DuPont Pharmaceutical Company and now merged with Bristol-Myers Squibb).
• Obtained patents that have yielded tens of millions of dollars in royalties as well as provided the basis for private and public financings of companies located throughout the United States, Asia, and Europe
• Drafted and prosecuted patent applications covering pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device products that are currently in Phase II and III trials as well as in approved clinical use in the United States and abroad
• Handled several inter partes reviews
• Represented both opponents and patentees in numerous oppositions in Europe, Japan, and Australia
Recognitions & Awards
• Best Lawyers in America
• Named among Boston's Top Rated Lawyers of 2014
• Hailed as "a lawyer with a keen eye for detail and an understanding of what is commercially critical to his clients" by Intellectual Asset Management, IAM Patent 1000 World's Leading Patent Practitioners (2014)
• Managing Intellectual Property: IP Star (2014)
• Martindale-Hubbell: AVE Preeminent
• New England Super Lawyers (2004 - 2014)
Professional & Community Involvement
• Past president, Boston Patent Law Association (BPLA)
• Past co-chair, BPLA Amicus Committee
• Past chair, BPLA Chemical Patent Practice Committee
• Past director, Wellesley Youth Wrestling Program
• Member, American Bar Association
• Member, Boston Patent Law Association
• Member, Licensing Executives Society
• Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
• Member, American Chemical Society
• Member, Association of University Technology Managers
• Mintz Levin Further Expands IP Practice with Eighteen Attorneys, (01.09.2015)
• Featured in Mintz Levin Adds More from Edwards Wildman, Bingham McCutchen, The Amercan Lawyer (01.08.2015)