Drawing on more than 35 years of experience in the dynamic Florida real estate market, including 18 years at the firm, Peter J. Fides II helps U.S. and foreign clients evaluate, acquire, plan, entitle, permit, finance, develop, construct, operate, lease and sell properties throughout the state. With special emphasis on environmentally sustainable large scale, mixed use developments and master planned communities, Peter's practice includes involvement in all types of real estate.
Areas of Concentration
• Complex real estate transactions
• Structuring, formation and governance of joint ventures, partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies and other real estate ownership vehicles
• Due diligence, acquisition, planning, entitlement, permitting, financing, development, construction, operation, leasing and sale of all types of real estate, including office, retail, warehouse, self-storage, manufacturing, single family residential, multifamily residential, golf course, resort, mining, agricultural, and conservation properties
• Large scale, mixed use developments and master planned communities, including community development districts
• Counseling and support in connection with increasingly complex environmental, climate change and sustainable development regulations and related permitting, compliance, monitoring and reporting requirements impacting real estate
• Aiding in the identification, design and implementation of voluntary sustainable development initiatives involving the financing, design, permitting, construction, governance, operation and branding of real estate projects, including the identification and pursuit of available incentives (federal, state and utility) and emission credits, and the potential sale of excess credits
• Structuring, documentation and operation of master/umbrella, commercial and residential property owners' associations
• Golf course and resort development and operation
• Zoning and land use
• Subdivisions and platting
• Housing for seniors
• Condominiums (commercial, residential, landsite, new and conversion)
• Master developer general representation
• Production homebuilder general representation, including form sales agreements and state and federal land sales registration requirements
• Real estate broker general representation, including brokerage agreements
• Real estate finance (acquisition, development, construction, interim, permanent and takeout), restructuring and workouts (from both the lender's and borrower's perspectives)
• Title insurance issuance, and resolution of complex title and survey issues and disputes
• Development management, construction management and property management agreements
• Commercial leases (retail, office, industrial, and warehouse)
• Options, rights of first offer/first refusal, easements (including solar), licenses and land trusts
• Surface mining agreements
Professional & Community Involvement
• Participant, Orlando Mayor's Export Marketing Mission to Argentina, 1999
• Participant, Florida Governor's Trade Mission to Mexico, 1993
• Former Member, The Nature Conservancy, Florida Chapter
- Former Trustee
- Former Member, Florida Trade Lands Counsel
• Former President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Director, Marina Bay Homeowners Association, Inc.
• Member, The Florida Bar
• Participant, Central Florida Coalition for the Homeless
• Participant, Habitat for Humanity
• Participant, Safehouse of Seminole County
Awards & Recognition
• Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2008-2014
• Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
• Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011, 2012 and 2013
• Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Real Estate, 2010 and 2013
• Listed, Orlando Home & Leisure magazine, "Orlando's Top Lawyers," November 2010
• Listed, Orlando magazine, "The Best Lawyers in Orlando," 2008-2010
• Listed, Florida Trend magazine, "Legal Elite," Real Estate Law, 2004
• Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
• Represented (including all documents for master association and multiple sub-associations) developer of 13,000 acre mixed use development permitted for up to 34,000 homes, 1.3 million square feet of retail and office space, 250 hotel rooms and 100+ holes of golf, with infrastructure development financed through multiple community development districts.
• Represented for developer of 95-building, 5,000 condominium unit, active adult golf community in West Florida.
• Drafted master association documents for urban redevelopment mixed use project permitted for up to 378,000 square feet of office, restaurant and retail space, 564 residential condominium units, and 2 parking garages, with infrastructure development financed through a Community Development District.
• Represented national airline in obtaining landing rights, gate access, and ticket counter space and long term lease of 79,000 square foot wide-body aircraft maintenance facility at Orlando International Airport.
• Represented tenant in long term, build-to-suit lease of 200,000 square feet of office, showroom and warehouse space.
• Represented developer of 360,000 square feet of office/showroom/warehouse projects.
• Represented rapidly expanding retailer in purchases and leases of store locations throughout Florida.
• Represented buyer of self-storage rental facility composed of 37 buildings containing 824 storage units and 62 rentable parking spaces.
• Represented developer of 68 acre office project with 12 multi-story office building sites.
• Represented developer of six neighborhood retail centers located in East Central Florida.
• Represented master ground lessor of major shopping mall.
• Represented condominium documents and coordination of offshore end sales and financing closings, for developer of 660 unit condominium project in which the units were sold to foreign investors, pooled and operated as a "flagged" resort hotel.
• Drafted master association documents for oceanfront community permitted for 600 residential and hotel units, plus retail and 18 holes of golf.
• Represented developer of 630-acre mixed use development containing 1,200 residential units, 135,000 square feet of commercial space and 260,000 square feet light industrial space.
• Represented developer of 3,050-acre mixed use development containing 2,886 residential units, 140,000 square feet of office space, 18 holes of golf, and 2,300 acres of recreational areas and wildlife preserve.
• Represented developer of 500-acre residential development containing 800 residential units and 18 holes of golf.
• Represented developer of 1,000-acre residential development containing 1,150 residential units and 18 holes of golf.
• Represented developer of 520-acre mixed use development containing 1,400 residential units and 80,000 square feet of retail.
• Represented developer/production homebuilder in connection with $40 million purchase of 712 acres approved for development of 1,800 residential units and a town center, with infrastructure development financed through a community development district.
• Represented developer/production homebuilder in connection with 200-acre residential development containing 520 residential units.
• Represented developer of mixed use project containing land condominium office complex, 130 residential condominium units and 9 acre multifamily apartment tract.
• Represented investors in purchase and $24 million re-sales of 175 acres approved for development of 485 residential units, a high school and four acres of commercial uses.
• Represented developer/production homebuilder in $23 million purchase of 1,000 acres in West Florida permitted for development of 1,500 residential units and a town center.
• Represented developer/production homebuilder in $54 million proposed purchase of 450 acres in Southwest Florida for development of 490 residential units.
• Represented developer/production homebuilder in $53 million proposed purchase of 686 acres in Southwest Florida for development of 1,858 active adult residential units.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
• Guest Lecturer, "Mastering the Skills of International Trade," Advanced Skills Certificate Series, International Contracts, Small Business Development Center of the University of Central Florida and U.S. Department of Commerce
(Also at Tampa Office)