Peter co-chairs the firm's Securities Litigation Practice. He is one of the nation's leading securities litigators and he has represented clients in well over 100 cases, investigations, and proceedings throughout the country. He has successfully defended SEC investigations, class actions, derivative suits, stock exchange proceedings, and state securities investigations, and has handled numerous FINRA arbitrations, among other matters.
Peter, through the Institutional Investor Class Action Recovery Practice, also represents hundreds of institutional investors with respect to the monitoring and evaluation of securities class action settlements. Peter has recovered over $3 billion for institutional clients. He has represented various clients in opting out of or objecting to proposed class settlements and has represented institutions as plaintiffs in various actions. In this role he participates in virtually every securities action that is filed and thus has a unique perspective when representing clients in said cases.
He has succeeded in preventing the vast majority of the dozens of clients he has represented in SEC investigations from being named as defendants or respondents. In matters where the SEC has taken action, Peter has frequently negotiated bars or suspensions, which have enabled the clients to return to their businesses or professions without undue delay.
Peter has represented many clients in FINRA arbitrations and has tried FINRA cases to successful conclusions. He also serves as an FINRA arbitrator.
He is a frequent lecturer and author on securities matters, having written hundreds of articles and papers, including co-authoring the Securities Litigation chapter in the definitive Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education publication, Business Torts in Massachusetts (2003). He has been an Adjunct Professor of Securities Litigation at the Maine Law School. He speaks at many institutional investor and securities industry forums, and is frequently quoted in the press.
After law school, he served as law clerk to the Honorable A. J. Connor (D-NH) and the Honorable Frank M. Coffin, US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
• Eighty-Five Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2014 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars , (10.17.2014)
• Mintz Levin Attorneys Michael F. Connolly, Peter M. Saparoff and Joel D. Rothman to Speak at MCLE's 13th Annual Business Litigation Conference , (01.29.2014)
• Seventy-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2013 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars , (10.21.2013)
• Mintz Levin Attorneys Peter M. Saparoff and Breton Leone-Quick to Speak at ABA Section of Litigation Annual Conference , (04.24.2013)
• Seventy-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2012 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars , (10.22.2012)
• Fifty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers , (10.21.2011)
• Forty-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers , (10.19.2010)
• Forty-Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers , (10.27.2009)
• Forty-Six Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers , (10.29.2008)
• Forty-Five Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers , (10.25.2007)
•Co-author, Rebutting the Fraud-on-the-Market Theory, American Bar Association, Securities Litigation Section (07.16.2013)
•Co-author, Will Upcoming Decisions Regarding the Application of Statutes of Repose & Limitations Fundamentally Change the Securities Class Action Landscape?, MCLE 12th Annual Conference, Business Litigation (2013)
•Co-author, Will Upcoming Decisions Regarding the Application of Statutes of Repose & Limitations Fundamentally Change the Securities Class Action Landscape?, ABA Section of Litigation Annual Conference (2013)
•Co-author, Can SEC Administrative “Findings” be used in Subsequent Cases? , American Bar Association, Securities Litigation Section (05.11.2012)
•Co-author, Implications of Erica P. John Fund v. Halliburton Co. , American Bar Association Securities Litigation (01.31.2012)
•The Role of Foreign Litigation in View of the Morrison Decision, ABA Securities Litigation Website (01.26.2012)
•Co-author, How Does the United States Supreme Court's Decision in Halliburton Affect Class Certification Motion Practice?, MCLE 11th Annual Conference, Business Litigation (01.20.2012)
•Co-author, Lessons Learned from Initial Say-on-Pay Litigation , Securities Litigation Alert (07.18.2011)
•Co-author, Supreme Court Rejects Fifth Circuit's Requirement That Plaintiffs in a Securities Fraud Litigation Prove Loss Causation in Order to Obtain Class Certification , Litigation Alert (06.09.2011)
•Co-author, The SEC's Increasing Focus on Hedge Funds, ABA Securities Litigation Journal (2011)
•Co-author, Benefits of Including Foreign Investors in U.S. Securities Class Actions and Barriers Created by Morrison v. National Australia Bank , Bloomberg Law Reports: Securities Law (08.09.2010)
•Co-author, Khuzami Announces Initiative To Encourage Cooperation by Individuals and Companies with SEC Investigations , Securities Litigation White Collar Defense Alert (01.14.2010)
•Co-author, SEC Enforcement Actions and Potential Civil Liability for Failures to Make Timely Filings, ABA Securities Litigation Journal (2010)
•Co-author, Using the Attorney-Client Privilege to Protect Drafts of SEC Filings , Litigation Securities Alert (02.06.2009)
•Co-author, Protecting the Interests of Class Members in Securities Fraud Settlements, ABA Securities Litigation Journal (2009)
•ABA Securities Litigation Journal, ABA Securities Litigation Journal (2008)
•Co-author, Hitting Home Runs or Swinging and Missing? Examining How the SEC Has Fared in Recent District Court Litigation, 31st Annual Advanced ALI-ABA Course of Study, Securities Litigation Planning and Practice (2007)
•Opting Out of Securities Class Actions--Is it Worth the Risk?, ABA Securities Litigation Journal (2007)
• Chair, Securities Litigation: Maximizing Recoveries and Minimizing Risks for Institutional Investors, ALI-CLE Webcast , (10.10.2014)
• Panelist, Roundtable: Strategies for Litigating Fraud Claims in Today's Environment, 13th Annual Business Litigation Conference 2014 , (01.29.2014)
• Panelist, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Ethical Issues in Class Action Settlements and Opt Outs, ABA Section of Litigation Annual Conference , American Bar Association, Chicago, IL (04.25.2013)
• Panelist, Securities Litigation Update, 12th Annual Business Litigation Conference 2013 , Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Boston, MA (01.25.2013)
• How Does the United States Supreme Court's Decision in Halliburton Affect Class Certification Motion Practice, New England Business Litigation Conference, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (01.20.2011)
• Speaker, Global Shareholder Activism Conference , Institutional Investor Educational Foundation, New York, NY (12.03.2009)
• Speaker, Effective Strategies for Reducing Corporate Fraud , MIT Sloan CFO Summit (11.19.2009)
• Panelist, Recovering Losses from the Financial Meltdown , Mintz Levin, Webinar (06.04.2009)