Peter Sorensen has wide-ranging experience in complex commercial cases in all state, federal and bankruptcy courts. These include cases dealing with real property, corporate and partnership disputes, sports law, agriculture, civil fraud, employment law, construction and creditor/debtor rights. His clients include large supermarket chains, property developers, commercial dairy farmers, commercial and general contractors, accounting firms, marinas and mining companies.
Peter also has experience briefing and arguing appeals before the Arizona Supreme Court, the Arizona Court of Appeals, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth and Third Circuits, and the Ninth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel.
As a judge pro tempore for the Maricopa County Superior Court, Peter has served as trial judge on several jury trials, and as a mediator in nearly 100 cases. He has also served as a private arbitrator and mediator.
Areas of Concentration
· Commercial litigation
· Business reorganization and bankruptcy
· Appellate advocacy and counseling
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Electronic Discovery Sub-Committee (2008-Present)
- Member, Pre-trial Practice and Discovery Committee (2008-Present)
- Member, Technology for the Litigator Committee (2008-Present)
- Member, Litigation Section (1990-Present)
- Member, Dispute Resolution Section
- Member, Law Practice Management Section
· Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, Committee on Professional Responsibility (1998-2006)
- Member, Attorney Fees Arbitration
· Judge Pro Tem, Maricopa County Superior Court (Civil) (1990-2010)
· Corporate Advisory Committee, Ballet Arizona
· Service Dog Trainer, Eye Dog Foundation
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Southwest Super Lawyers, 2012-2013
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented a major property developer in a dispute involving more than 10,000 acres of commercial and residential real property in western Maricopa County, which includes owners and interested parties located in Arizona and Europe.°
· Represented individual business enterprises of the owner of a substantial trucking company and professional sports franchise, including disputes regarding the construction and operation of several marinas and shopping centers in Arizona.°
· Represented plaintiffs in a class action involving nearly 2,000 class-members against a municipality relating to employment and associated benefits.°
· Represented a major grocery store chain in litigation arising out of its Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding.°
· Represented a major Colorado general contractor in litigation involving the construction of a Bullhead City hotel concerning construction defect, delay and lien priority claims.°
· Represented a large sand and gravel mining operation with regard to various employment disputes including claims of discrimination, wrongful termination and harassment.°
· Defended claims of fraud and misrepresentation in the sale of a high-tech business in Arizona, New Jersey and Minnesota.°
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Sorensen prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.