Practice/Industry Group Overview
Huff, Poole & Mahoney, P.C. has attorneys who use their expertise in employment law to advise and represent employers on personnel and employment-related issues. We routinely counsel clients on appropriate employment policies and assist them in drafting employment contracts, non-competition agreements, and employee handbooks. We also practice before labor-related governmental agencies and defend lawsuits in state and federal courts involving ERISA, wrongful discharge, and discrimination claims.
Employment Law Hotline
Huff, Poole & Mahoney, P.C.'s Employment Law Practice Group offers an Employment Law Hotline to the
firm's business clients. By subscribing to the Hotline, businesses can avoid hourly fees by prepaying a
determined amount for one year of unlimited telephone access. This program is designed to provide clients
with a value-oriented, cost-effective means of consulting with their attorneys about employment law issues.
Why Does Your Business Need an Employment Attorney On-Call?
Decrease Your Exposure to Claims
The increasing complexity of employment laws and the ease with which disgruntled employees can file
complaints have eroded the ability of employers just to "do what's fair" without the benefit of legal advice. Employers
who consult with their attorneys early and often regarding employment law questions can dramatically decrease their legal
Anticipate Your Legal Costs
Most employers cite cost concerns as the reason for avoiding calling their attorneys for "preventive" legal advice
Because the Employment Law Hotline is a prepaid legal service, Employers know "up front" what their legal costs will
be. This arrangement encourages businesses to communicate with us early and often while remaining confident that they
are staying within their budget.
- Clients pay a flat fee tailored to their unique business needs. Because the fee is prepaid and primarily
covers telephone consultations, we can charge an annual fee which is significantly lower than the amount
clients would pay if charged an hourly rate.
- Unlimited telephonic access during business hours. A client who has paid for the service can call with
employment law questions as often as necessary.
- Basic legal research to answer your questions fully and accurately. Legal research in connection with a
question is only subject to an additional fee if we estimate that more than one hour will be required to find the
answer. We will obtain your approval in advance before undertaking more extensive research.
- Analysis of short documents. If necessary to understand your legal question, we will review short documents
in connection with your phone call at no additional charge. Upon your prior approval, separate fees will be
charged for analysis of more complex documents.
- Consistent service from an attorney familiar with your business. As a general rule, you will always
speak with the same attorney who is well-acquainted with your particular business and with prior issues that
Other Employment Law Services
- Drafting Employment Policies and Employee Handbooks
- Structuring Pay Systems and Employee Benefit Programs
- Drafting and Enforcing Employment and Non-Competition Agreements
- Navigating Complex Federal Laws and Regulations
- Coordinating Internal Investigations of Employee Misconduct
- Defending Against Discrimination Charges
- Contesting Unemployment Claims
- Negotiating Severance Packages
Advantages of the Employment Law Hotline
- BUDGET with confidence for legal expenses and avoid hourly fees.
- PREPAY consultation fees at an annual rate to substantially reduce your legal costs.
- CONFRONT employment issues as they arise and decrease exposure to costly litigation.
- ENJOY telephonic access to an attorney familiar with your unique business needs and day-to-day
- BE CONFIDENT that you are receiving thoroughly researched answers to your daily employment
questions and tailor-made solutions to your ongoing management concerns.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc., Associated Aviation Underwriters, CAC-Medmal, Inc., Caudle-Hyatt, Inc., Cavalier Hotel Corporation, The Cessna Aircraft Company, Checker Cab Company, Inc., Christian Broadcasting Network, Inc., Collection Agent for the Commonwealth's Attorney for the cities of Chesapeake, Virginia Beach and County of Chesterfield, Criminal Injuries Compensation Fund, Dominion Virginia Power , Eastern Virginia Medical School, Empire Fire & Marine Insurance, Freedom Automotive, Inc., Grayson Financial, Ltd., Kempsville Building Materials, Inc. , Montgomery OneBeacon Insurance, National Food Processors Association, Operation Smile, Inc., Regent University, Sentara Healthcare, Inc., Southern Packing Corporation, Titan America, Travelers Property Casualty Corp., Uninsured Employer's Fund, Verizon Virginia, Inc., Virginia Mutual Insurance Company, Wagner Maritime, Inc., W.R. Berkley Corporation, YMCA of South Hampton Roads