Powell "Gee" Ogletree, Jr., joined Adams and Reese in 1997. He is the founding partner and co-leader of the Forestry team. He practices primarily in the areas of forestry, real estate, natural resources, zoning, environmental and business matters.
Gee has gained a national reputation for his diverse knowledge of and practical experience in forestry law from the perspective of industry, TIMOs, private landowners, harvesters and others. He has published articles and spoken before bar, civic and public groups concerning real estate and timber matters, environmental issues and litigation.
His other significant contributions include:
· Negotiating and closing industrial, commercial and other real estate transactions from the sale and purchase of industrial facilities to the sale and financing of shopping centers and tenant leases.
· Representing buyers and sellers in large forestry transactions, including timberland sales, wood product sales and associated fiber supply agreements.
· Advising clients concerning natural resource issues, including resource preservation and conservation, endangered species, hunting and fishing leases, water rights, wetlands and oil, gas and energy.
· Counseling clients on green and sustainable forestry matters, including biofuels facilities and contracts, wind energy leases, conservation and forest legacy easements and sustainable forestry certifications and audits.
· Representing owners, lenders and others in real estate disputes involving title, easements, access, water, eminent domain and environmental issues.
As a title insurance agent on real estate transactions on behalf of several national title insurance companies, Gee provides advice and title insurance services arising from the acquisition, development and financing of real property. He was instrumental in coordinating the title insurance review of title commitments for the sale of approximately three million acres in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee as a part of a larger transaction across 17 states.
Gee is active in the American Bar Association, having served on the Council of the Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, and having served two terms as Chair of the Forest Resources Committee that included development of a forestry educational tool for classroom teaching. He is general counsel for the Mississippi Forestry Association and the Mississippi Manufactured Housing Association. He is also an adjunct professor at Mississippi College School of Law, teaching Real Estate Finance and Development.
In his free time, Gee enjoys running, hiking, rafting and spending time with his wife and two grown daughters and their families. In 2008, he and his wife, Holly, completed the Chicago Marathon.
Professional Memberships / Affiliations
American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, Chair - Special
Committee on Annual Awards; Past Council Member
Rankin County Chamber of Commerce, Past President, Council Member
ABA Timber Resources Committee
Mississippi Forestry Association, General Counsel; Past Board Member/Executive Committee
Mississippi Wildlife Federation, Past President, Board Member
American Forest and Paper Association
Forest Landowners Association,