Practice/Industry Group Overview
Procopio’s Medical Technology Practice Group focuses on the vibrant Southern California medical device community and in particular on the convergence between medicine and wireless technology. While still in its early-stage, medical technology and wireless health care have allowed hospitals and health care providers to offer patients a broader range of medical solutions in a more timely and cost-effective manner. The combination of these two areas is changing health care as we know it and is making it possible for individuals to lead healthy and self-sufficient lives.
Procopio is uniquely positioned to provide value to companies in this area due to its counseling Medical Device and Health Care companies combined with its extensive experience advising wireless technology, software and analytics companies. As a result of this experience, our attorneys understand the technical issues involved with the new types of sensors being developed, the wireless communications and network capabilities that are being combined with these sensors, and the analytics needed to make sense of the data being generated by these sensors. Our attorneys also understand the regulatory and reimbursement issues that are involved in medical device and health care endeavors.
While our MedTech practice is at the forefront of such trends in the healthcare industry, we have built our reputation over the years through representation of medical device and diagnostic companies involving a wide range of technologies. Accordingly, we understand that medical device companies face a highly dynamic and competitive landscape. The attorneys in our Medical Technology practice group work as strategic business partners in all stages of development, and help clients understand the unique industry challenges and how to best overcome them. Some of these challenges include a shorter product lifecycle, regulatory obstacles, and a contentious intellectual property environment.
Our attorneys combine years of experience to meet the needs of medical technology and life science clients in addressing specific problems presented by medical technology and life science companies, including:
- strategy and company organization
- mergers and acquisitions
- private and public financing
- material transfer agreements
- licensing and know-how
- joint ventures
- supply and distribution arrangements
- employee transfer technology issues
- research and development agreements
Our attorneys optimize specific strategies for medical technology and life sciences clients at all stages, from start-ups to large mature companies, and do so in a cost-effective manner that addresses the specific circumstances and needs of each client.
- Represented medical device manufacturer in its $30 million sale to German company.
- Represented medical device manufacturer in its $20 million sale to private equity firm.
- Represented NASDAQ pharmaceutical company in connection with several PIPE financings and all necessary filings with the SEC.
- Represented public foreign entities in significant license/stock deal with NASDAQ biopharmaceutical company focused on acquiring, developing, and commercializing proprietary products that address the need of patients treated by physician specialists, including registration of milestone securities with the SEC.
- Represented NASDAQ pharmaceutical company in increasing revolving commitment amount under its credit agreement.
- Represented developer of innovative technologies in multiple private offerings of preferred stock to investors.
- Represented private company developing lead compounds in new medicines for acne, wound healing, prostate cancer, and for other androgen or androgen receptor-related disorders in multiple private offerings of preferred stock to investors.
- Represented lead manufacturer of nutritional supplements in license of patent estate in the field of sports nutrition, to one of the world’s leading nutrition, health, and wellness companies as well as one of the largest global health care companies in the world.
- Represented company specializing in medical devices that address obesity.
- Designed and implemented patent strategy for technologies related to small molecules and biologics designed to address retinopathy, including age-related macular degeneration.
- Represented cosmoceutical and supplement company’s technologies for improving health and extending wellness.
- Represented various medical technology and biotech companies in connection with leases of lab, clinical, and other space, including subleases, renewals and renegotiations.
- Represented various life science companies with their employment and labor practices and policies, including related arbitrations, government inquiries and litigation.
- Represented technology and biotechnology companies in over $250 million in venture capital financings.
- Represented Italian biotech company in significant licensing/stock deal with Nasdaq biopharma company.