Bruce founded the firm's Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith Practice Group and is the senior shareholder in that department. He is one of the most respected litigators in Pennsylvania in this discipline. Bruce's practice focuses on the representation of insurance companies directly, both in insurance coverage consultations and in litigation. He also represents the insurers' interests in underlying liability matters with threatened or existing excess exposures, as well as claims brought under the Pennsylvania Bad Faith Statute. In addition to his insurance matters, Bruce handles select appellate cases in Pennsylvania state and federal appellate courts.
In addition to trying and supervising major bad faith and coverage cases statewide, Bruce also obtained the appellate reversal of the first reported punitive damage award against an insurer under the Pennsylvania Bad Faith Statute. More recently, the Superior Court quoted Bruce's amicus brief written for PDI to establish that UM/UIM claims are inherently and unavoidably arm's length and adversarial in the Condio case. He has given numerous seminars and presentations to clients and other professional organizations and has trained claims personnel from Nationwide Insurance Company, AIG, Maryland Casualty, Zurich, CNA, U.S. Liability, Liberty Mutual, Progressive, GEICO, Keystone and other insurers in bad faith and insurance coverage. He has also appeared as a panelist in seminars sponsored by Pennsylvania Bar Institute, The Insurance Society of Philadelphia, The Pennsylvania Defense Institute, PaTLA, Pennsylvania Association for Justice, RIMS, Mealey's and The National Business Institute.
•Discovery in Bad Faith Claims - Strategies, Common Disputes and Emerging Issues, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, PA, December 5, 2012
•Frequent lecturer/presenter on insurance related topics, The Insurance Society of Philadelphia
•Frequent lecturer/presenter on insurance related topics, in-house training
•Frequent lecturer/presenter on insurance-related topics, Pennsylvania Bar Institute
•Frequent lecturer/presenter on insurance related topics, Pennsylvania Defense Institute
•Frequent lecturer/presenter on insurance related topics, Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel
• Superior Court Emotionally Distressed Over Negligent Infliction Claims, Defense Digest, Winter, 1993
• Bad Faith Burden of Proof Clarified, Defense Digest, Summer, 1994
• Insurance Coverage for Assault and Battery Claim Determined by Complaint, Defense Digest, Fall, 1994
• Revisions to Pennsylvania Rule Puts Post-Trial Motions and Appeals on Fast Track, Defense Digest, February, 1996
• Erie v. Lake: Do You Know Who Your Insureds Are?, Defense Digest, May, 1996
• Erie v. Lake: Do You Know Who Your Insureds Are?, The Legal Intelligencer Insurance Update, Summer, 1996
• CATFund Joint Tort Cap Provision Enforced, Defense Digest, Vol. 3, No. 3, 1997
• The Proper Measure of Compensable Past Medical Expenses Where the Amount Actually Paid is a Fraction of the Amount Initially Billed, Defense Digest, Vol. 4, No. 2, 1998
• Understanding the Moorehead Decision: Hospital Receives Set-Off, (Co-author), The Legal Intelligencer, March 16, 1998
• The Proper Measure of Compensable Past Medical Expenses, Pennsylvania Law Weekly, July 27, 1998
• Litigating Bad Faith Claims in Insurance Coverage Cases, The Legal Intelligencer, Sept. 28, 1998
• Birth Center Delivers Major Headache in Excess Verdict Cases, Defense Digest, Spring, 2002
• Bad Faith and Excess Verdicts: 'The Bermuda Quadrangle', Seminar for Pa. Trial Lawyers Assn. (PATLA), June, 2003
• Ssshh! Are We Required To Whisper Our Legal Advice?, Counterpoint (PDI), April, 2008
Honors & Awards
• AV Preeminent by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
• Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America - Philadelphia Insurance Law 2012 Lawyer of the Year. Insurance Law, 2006-Present
•Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2005-2015
Year Joined Organization
Should Attorneys Fees Incurred In A Statutory Bad Faith Claim Include Fees Incurred Solely In Pursuit Of The Bad Faith Claim: Time To Revisit The Polselli Prediction?
Defense Digest Article • June 1, 2012
Pennsylvania - Bad FaithKey Points:Attorneys fees recoverable in a statutory bad faith claim should be limited to those fees incurred to obtain benefits wrongfully denied.Allowing recovery of attorneys fees to obtain damages..., Defense Digest, Vol. 18, No. 2, June 2012
John J. Hare Presents Oral Arguments Before PA Supreme Court in UIM Case
May 17, 2013
John J. Hare, Shareholder and Chair of the Appellate Advocacy and Post Trial Practice Group, presented oral arguments earlier this month in Vanderhoff v. Harleysville Insurance in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. This is the second time that Vanderhoff has been considered by the Supreme Court. R....
Discovery in Bad Faith Claims - Strategies, common disputes and emerging issues
Seminar • Dec 5, 2012
Topics to be discussed by the distinguished panel during the program include: Learning Effective Discovery Strategies; Reviewing what is discoverable, common areas of dispute and how electronic discovery has changed the game; Hearing...