Ralph A. Mariani practices in the areas of state, local and federal income taxation.
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and Connecticut, he is a member of the Taxation Section of the American Bar Association, the Tax Law Section of the Pennsylvania Bar Association and is a past chair of the State and Local Tax Committee of the Tax Section of the Philadelphia Bar Association.
Mr. Mariani is a 1974 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Law School, a 1974 graduate of The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, where he earned a Masters in Business Administration, a 1980 graduate of New York University School of Law (LL.M., Taxation) and a graduate of Harvard University.
· Advising real estate clients on structuring strategies to minimize real estate transfer taxes.
· Formulated state tax minimization strategies that have resulted in a substantial reduction of state income and franchise taxes.
· Represented a major telecommunications corporation in a gross receipts tax litigation.
· Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 1985-present
- Associate, 1977-1985
· United States Navy
- Judge Advocate General Corps., 1974-1977
· American Bar Association
- Taxation Section
· Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Tax Law Section
· Philadelphia Bar Association
- Tax Section
-- Past Chairman, State and Local Tax Committee
Honors and Awards
· AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Civic and Charitable Activities
· Appointed by Philadelphia Mayor Edward Rendell and City Council President John Street to a select committee to review all city and school district business taxes for the purpose of streamlining the tax structure in order to enhance the business environment in Philadelphia, 1992-1996
· Member, Mayor's Advisory Group for City Taxes, 1991-present
Selected Speaking Engagements
· Lecturer, "Pennsylvania Sales and Use Tax," Lehigh University 40th Annual Tax Forum, October, 1999
· Lecturer, "Representing Nonprofit Organizations," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, July 1999
· Lecturer, "Provider Perspectives on the Philadelphia PILOTS/SILOTS Program," Metropolitan Philadelphia Chapter of the Healthcare Financial Management Association, December 1994
· Lecturer, "Organization and Operation of a Delaware Holding Company," Philadelphia Tax Conference, October 1992
· Program Chair, "The Nexus Question: Current Issues in State Taxation of Businesses," Philadelphia Bar Association, May 1992
· Lecturer, Pennsylvania Sales and Use Tax, National Business Institute, July 1991
· Lecturer, "State Income Taxation of S Corporations and Partnerships," Philadelphia Bar Association, February 1991
· Lecturer, "Philadelphia Local Taxes," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, May 1991
· Lecturer, "Income Taxation of Pennsylvania Corporations," National Business Institute, January 1990
· Lecturer, "Understanding Business Taxes," Mayor's Small Business Conference, October 1989 and 1990
· Lecturer, "Local Tax Reform," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, May 1989
· Lecturer, "Local Business Taxes and Related Activities," Pennsylvania Bar Institute and Philadelphia Bar Association, 1986