Ralph G. Santos concentrates his practice in the areas of real estate, mortgage finance, construction law, and business law. He represents real estate developers, office, retail and industrial landlords, institutional and private investors, hospital owners and operators, pension fund advisors, life insurance companies, and financial institutions.
Although he has practiced in Texas since his graduation from law school, his practice is national in scope. Over the years, he has represented clients in connection with the acquisition, development, financing, leasing, and disposition of commercial real estate projects throughout the United States. Though his practice has largely focused on real estate, he has also represented several major for-profit hospital companies in connection with the acquisition and disposition of hospitals and hospital systems. During the late 1980s and early 1990s he devoted a substantial part of his practice to representing national banks and other financial institutions in real estate workouts and restructures involving major commercial portfolios.
Areas of Concentration
· Foreclosures, workouts and loan restructures
· Commercial real estate law
· Commercial mortgage lending
· Construction and design professional contracts
· Formation of investment partnerships and joint ventures between for-profit and non-profit hospital operators
· Hospital acquisitions and dispositions
· Commercial leasing
· Business law
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, State Bar of Texas
· Member, Dallas Bar Association
· Member, Real Estate Council
· Member, Dallas Committee on Foreign Relations
· Member, American Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2007-2014
· Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Real Estate, 2010, 2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2009-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Texas Super Lawyers, 2003-2013
- Corporate Counsel Edition, 2009-2010
· Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011 and 2012
· Listed, Texas' Best Lawyers, Real Estate Law, 2009-2010
· Listed, D Magazine "The Best Lawyers in Dallas," May 2005
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Representation of landlords in connection with leasing office and industrial properties throughout the State of Texas, including sale leasebacks, equity leases, and build-to-suit leases.
· Representation of a major national bank in restructuring defaulted loan portfolio of a national real estate development company involving multiple properties located in the West and Southwest United States.
· Representation of a major national bank in settlement and transfer by deeds in lieu of foreclosure of multiple apartment properties located throughout the United States.
· Representation of national for-profit hospital systems in connection with the acquisition and disposition of hospitals and the formation of joint ventures between for-profit hospitals and non-profit hospitals along with related ground leases, management contracts and buy-back agreements.
· Representation of pension advisor in the formation of investment partnerships with developers for the development of senior living and assisted living projects.
· Representation of retail developers in connection with the development, leasing and financing retail shopping centers anchored by grocery stores and "big box" tenants.
· Representation of developers and pension fund advisors in the acquisition and disposition of multi-family, office, industrial and retail properties.
· Representation of one of the nation's largest banks in connection with the mortgage financing of regional malls, office buildings, industrial warehouses, apartments, luxury condominiums, hotels and resort properties, issuance of letters of credit and unsecured credit facilities across the United States.
· Representation of a national casino operator with respect to casino, riverboat and gaming operating agreements and the acquisition and development of casino properties.
· Representation of national and individual hotel operators in negotiating sales, acquisitions, development and management of hotel properties located in, among other places, Beverly Hills, Hawaii, Santa Fe, and Vail.
· Representation of a national for-profit hospital company in the purchase and sale of operating hospitals in California, Louisiana, Texas, Kansas, Oregon, and Arkansas.
· Representation of investment advisors in investing debt and equity in individual and portfolio commercial real estate transactions.
· Representation of institutional investors with respect to due diligence and purchase of loan portfolios; major developers and financial institutions in restructuring and settling debt on multiple real estate properties.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Co-Author, "Due on Sale Clauses and Prepayment Penalties," State Bar Newsletter Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law, 1989
· Co-Author, "New Amendment to the Texas Foreclosure Statute," 3 Texas Real Estate Law Reporter, v.13, 1987
· Co-Author, "Recent Case Developments," Mortgage Lending Institute, 1982, 1983, and 1985
· Author, "Federal Preemption of State Due-on-Sale Laws," 22 State Bar Newsletter Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law, v.18, 1984
· Lecturer, "Mold: Contract Provisions for Leases, Purchase Contracts, Management Agreements and Loan Documents," Institute for International Environmental Risk Management, Las Vegas, June 2003
· Lecturer, "Problem Real Estate Loans: The Lender's Perspective," 24th Annual Advanced Real Estate Course, July 2002
· Lecturer, "Leasing Commercial Real Estate," Northwest Center for Professional Education in Dallas, Houston and New Orleans, January, 1983