- Labor and Employment
- Native American Affairs
- Data Protection and Cyber Security
|University ||Emporia State University, B.S., Public Affairs, 1980|
|Law School||University of Kansas, School of Law, J.D., 1983 Order of the Coif|
|Admitted||1983, Arizona; United States District Court, District of Arizona|
Professional Memberships & Activities
• Maricopa County Superior Court, Judge Pro Tempore (2010-2013)
• American Arbitration Association, Arbitrator (2010-2013)
• Arizona Civil Rights Division, Mediator
• State Bar of Arizona
• American Bar Association
• Labor and Employment Law Section
• Immigration Law Committee
• American Immigration Lawyers Association
• Arizona Women Lawyers Association
• National Association of Women Business Owners, Phoenix Chapter, President (1998-1999); Board of Directors (2010-2011)
• IAPP (International Association of Privacy Professionals)
|Born||Seneca, Kansas, August 2, 1958|
Rebecca Winterscheidt has been practicing employment law and immigration law since 1983. She is a co-chair of the firm's Labor and Employment Section, heads the firm's Immigration Practice and is a U.S. Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US). Rebecca regularly advises employers concerning employment discrimination, wrongful discharge, disability and family leave issues, breach of contract, whistleblowing and non-solicitation matters. She represents companies at all stages of employment disputes, including taking cases through the administrative stage, through discovery and, if necessary, to trial. Rebecca has tried several jury cases in both federal and state court.
In the immigration area, Rebecca has advised foreign clients on EB-5, EB-1 and other investment related visa opportunities in the United States. She works closely with other Snell & Wilmer attorneys in the tax and corporate areas to provide a team approach for foreign nationals interested in investing in the United States. Rebecca represents employees and individuals in obtaining immigrant and non-immigrant visas through family and/or employment. She also counsels companies on immigration best practices and handles I-9 audits and other compliance and worksite enforcement issues.
Rebecca has handled several privacy and data breach matters, including matters involving sensitive employee information and HIPAA issues.
Rebecca also serves as an arbitrator and mediator of employment disputes for the American Arbitration Association. She is also a mediator in employment disputes and serves as a volunteer mediator for the Arizona Civil Rights Commission.
Rebecca is a frequent speaker and trainer in numerous areas of personnel law including sex harassment, ADA, FMLA, layoffs, supervisor/manager leadership training and terminations.
Representative Presentations & Publications
• Privacy Panel, Panelist, State of Arizona - Security Conference (June 2012)
• Best Practices in Privacy and Data Protection for 2012, Speaker, Snell & Wilmer seminar (April 2012)
• New Developments in Immigration Enforcement and Compliance, Chapter Author, Inside the Minds, Aspatore Books (2012)
• Numerous speeches and presentations at professional national, state and local seminars, to human resource organizations and individual clients on all aspects of employment law. Rebecca is also a frequent speaker on privacy and data security issues.
Professional Recognition & Awards
• The Best Lawyers in America, Immigration Law, Labor & Employment Litigation, Employment Law - Management (2005-2015)
• Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Labor & Employment (2013-2014); Labor & Employment: Immigration (2006-2011)
• Southwest Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor (2007-2014)
• Top 25 Women Attorneys (2013-2014)
• Arizona's Top Lawyers, Immigration Law, AzBusiness Magazine (2014)
• Metro YMCA Board of Directors, Executive Committee, Human Resource Committee Chairperson (2013-2014)
• Emporia State University Alumni Board of Directors (2010-2013)
Nov 21 Legal Alert - Impact of New Immigration Initiatives
Aug 29 Legal Alert - Breaching Bad: New Cyber Security Regs for Defense Contractors
Jun 03 Workplace Word - Ninth Circuit Creates Wrinkle in the Way Employers Designate Family and Medical Leave
Mar 17 Legal Alert - The New Cybersecurity Framework-A Roadmap for All Companies
Mar 11 Workplace Word - Upcoming Affirmative Action Plan Requirements for Federal Contractors and Subcontractors (video)
Feb 14 Workplace Word - Employer To Do List for the New Year
Jan 30 Workplace Word - BYOD: Policy Considerations for Employers in the Age of Personal Devices
Dec 05 Workplace Word - Federal Contractor/Subcontractor Alert: New Affirmative Action Requirements Concerning Persons with Disabilities
May 03 Global Connection - May 2013
Aug 22 Legal Alert - Continue Using Expired Version of the Current Form I-9
News & Events
Aug 18 The Best Lawyers in America 2015 Lists 123 Snell & Wilmer Lawyers as Leaders in Their Field
May 23 Chambers USA Recognizes Snell & Wilmer in Multiple Categories and Names 38 Attorneys as 'Leaders in Their Field'
Aug 19 The Best Lawyers in America 2014 Recognizes 119 Snell & Wilmer Attorneys as Leaders in Their Field
Aug 12 Super Lawyers 2013 Recognizes 96 Snell & Wilmer Attorneys Also Names 45 Firm Attorneys to the 2013 Rising Stars List
Jun 17 Eight Snell & Wilmer Attorneys Appointed Judge Pro Tempore for Superior Court in Maricopa County
May 31 Chambers USA Recognizes Snell & Wilmer in Multiple Categories and Names 37 Attorneys as 'Leaders in Their Field'
Sep 04 The Best Lawyers in America 2013 Recognizes 114 Snell & Wilmer Attorneys as Leaders in Their Field
Jun 27 Super Lawyers 2012 Recognizes 80 Snell & Wilmer Attorneys
Jun 07 State of Arizona Security Conference Welcomes Snell & Wilmer Partner Rebecca Winterscheidt as Panelist
Jan 01 New Developments in Immigration Enforcement and Compliance
Sep 06 The Best Lawyers in America Recognizes 99 Snell & Wilmer Attorneys as Leaders in Their Field
Jul 29 Snell & Wilmer Congratulates its 99 Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2011
Jun 20 Super Lawyers 2011 Recognizes 74 Snell & Wilmer Attorneys Also Names 21 Firm Attorneys to the 2011 Rising Stars List
Jun 10 Chambers USA Recognizes Snell & Wilmer in Multiple Categories and Names 39 Attorneys as 'Leaders in Their Field'
Oct 21 Ninety-Nine Snell & Wilmer Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America 2011
Jun 22 Sixty-Seven Snell & Wilmer Attorneys Named as Super Lawyers 2010
Dec 01 The Women of Snell & Wilmer
Aug 01 Ninety-Eight Snell & Wilmer Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2010
Jul 10 Law & Politics Selects 75 Snell & Wilmer Attorneys as 2009 Super Lawyers
Jun 12 Chambers USA Ranks Thirty-Five Snell & Wilmer Attorneys as Leaders in Field
|Reported Cases||Representative Experience Handled hundreds of discrimination claims over nearly 30-year period Jury trials in state and federal court - complete defense verdict in all trials Handled multi-state layoffs Advised clients in WARN issues Handled SOX matters and other whistleblower claims Assisted clients with FMLA, ADA issues Handled company investigations Representative Clients Multi-national companies Mental Health agencies Insurance companies Non-profits Construction companies Health Supplement companies Manufacturing companies High-tech companies Representative Presentations & Publications Privacy Panel, Panelist, State of Arizona - Security Conference (June 2012) Best Practices in Privacy and Data Protection for 2012, Speaker, Snell & Wilmer seminar (April 2012) New Developments in Immigration Enforcement and Compliance, Chapter Author, Inside the Minds, Aspatore Books (2012) Numerous speeches and presentations at professional national, state and local seminars, to human resource organizations and individual clients on all aspects of employment law. Rebecca is also a frequent speaker on privacy and data security issues.|
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#896 in weekly profile views out of 8,790 lawyers in Phoenix, Arizona|
|#118,885 in weekly profile views out of 1,669,868 total lawyers Overall|