Rebecca Winterscheidt has been practicing employment law and immigration law since 1983. She is a co-chair of the firm's Labor and Employment Section, heads the firm's Immigration Practice and is a U.S. Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US). Rebecca regularly advises employers concerning employment discrimination, wrongful discharge, disability and family leave issues, breach of contract, whistleblowing and non-solicitation matters. She represents companies at all stages of employment disputes, including taking cases through the administrative stage, through discovery and, if necessary, to trial. Rebecca has tried several jury cases in both federal and state court.
In the immigration area, Rebecca has advised foreign clients on EB-5, EB-1 and other investment related visa opportunities in the United States. She works closely with other Snell & Wilmer attorneys in the tax and corporate areas to provide a team approach for foreign nationals interested in investing in the United States. Rebecca represents employees and individuals in obtaining immigrant and non-immigrant visas through family and/or employment. She also counsels companies on immigration "best practices" and handles I-9 audits and other compliance and worksite enforcement issues.
Rebecca has handled several privacy and data breach matters, including matters involving sensitive employee information and HIPAA issues.
Rebecca also serves as an arbitrator and mediator of employment disputes for the American Arbitration Association. She is also a mediator in employment disputes and serves as a volunteer mediator for the Arizona Civil Rights Commission.
Rebecca is a frequent speaker and trainer in numerous areas of personnel law including sex harassment, ADA, FMLA, layoffs, supervisor/manager leadership training and terminations.
Labor and Employment
Rebecca Winterscheidt is co-chair of Snell & Wilmer's Labor & Employment practice area. She represents employees in all aspects of human resources to help companies avoid litigation if possible through best practices. Rebecca also handles cases from the administrative charge stage through trial. She has successfully tried several jury trials.
• Handled hundreds of discrimination claims over nearly 30-year period
• Jury trials in state and federal court - complete defense verdict in all trials
• Handled multi-state layoffs
• Advised clients in WARN issues
• Handled SOX matters and other whistleblower claims
• Assisted clients with FMLA, ADA issues
• Handled company investigations
• Multi-national companies
• Mental Health agencies
• Insurance companies
• Construction companies
• Health Supplement companies
• Manufacturing companies
• High-tech companies
Rebecca Winterscheidt heads Snell & Wilmer's Immigration practice area. She represents companies to obtain immigrant and non-immigrant visas for their alien workforce and helps develop long term workable immigration strategies. Rebecca also represents individuals in family-based immigration matters.
Rebecca has advised foreign clients on EB-5, EB-1 and other investment related visa opportunities in the United States. She works closely with other Snell & Wilmer attorneys in the tax and corporate areas to provide a team approach for foreign nationals interested in investing in the United States.
• Bringing aliens to U.S. to work under the following non-immigrant visas: E, H-1B, J, L and O
• Assisting aliens in transition from non-immigrant status to immigrant status through labor certifications, I-140 and I-130 filings
• Advising clients on EB-5 (regional center projects and individual investors)
• Filing Adjustment of Status paperwork to obtain green cards
• Representing companies in ICE audits
• Representing companies in Maricopa County Sheriff raids
• Gaming Industry
• Software Development Industry
• Real Estate Investment
• Medical Practice Groups
• Education (private and public)
Rebecca Winterscheidt is a private mediator and arbitrator and a strong proponent of alternative dispute resolution. Through early intervention mediation, she assists parties in reaching a mutual resolution of their dispute without the need for costly litigation. Rebecca also serves as a neutral third-party arbitrator of employment disputes.
• Arizona Superior Court Judge Pro Tempore (2010-2012) (settlement conference mediator)
• Arizona Civil Rights Division Mediator (2011-2012)
• American Arbitration Association Arbitrator (2010-2012)
• Strauss Institute Mediation Training (October 2010)
• Arizona Civil Rights Division Mediation Training (2011)
• Has served as an advocate in hundreds of mediations and arbitrations throughout her career
• Experience as an arbitrator and mediator in all types of employment-related disputes including discrimination, retaliation, disability, wage and hour and contract disputes
Professional Memberships & Activities
• Maricopa County Superior Court, Judge Pro Tempore (2010-2013)
• American Arbitration Association, Arbitrator (2010-2013)
• Arizona Civil Rights Division, Mediator
• State Bar of Arizona
• American Bar Association
- Labor and Employment Law Section
- Immigration Law Committee
• American Immigration Lawyers Association
• Arizona Women Lawyers Association
• National Association of Women Business Owners, Phoenix Chapter, President (1998-1999); Board of Directors (2010-2011)
• IAPP (International Association of Privacy Professionals), Member
Representative Presentations & Publications
• Privacy Panel, Panelist, State of Arizona - Security Conference (June 2012)
• Best Practices in Privacy and Data Protection for 2012, Speaker, Snell & Wilmer seminar (April 2012)
• New Developments in Immigration Enforcement and Compliance, Chapter Author, Inside the Minds, Aspatore Books (2012)
• Numerous speeches and presentations at professional national, state and local seminars, to human resource organizations and individual clients on all aspects of employment law. Rebecca is also a frequent speaker on privacy and data security issues.
Professional Recognition & Awards
• The Best Lawyers in America®, Immigration Law, Labor & Employment Litigation, Employment Law Management (2005-2014)
• Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business®, Labor & Employment (2013); Labor & Employment: Immigration (2006-2011)
• Southwest Super Lawyers®, Employment & Labor (2007-2013)
- Top 25 Women Attorneys (2013)