Mr. Bouthillier is a Principal Shareholder and Chair of the Tallahassee Environmental and Land Development Department. He focuses his practice in the areas of governmental affairs, land use, growth management, environmental, land development, real estate, administrative law, energy, and infrastructure. He has extensive experience in these areas, having served private and public sector clients on matters throughout Florida for the more than 20 years he has been at Greenberg Traurig. In today's complex regulatory environment, he advocates clients' interests in these areas before federal, state, and local government, and represents clients in a broad-range of matters - from routine to complex projects - involving transactions, entitlements, permitting, licensing, compliance, policy and rule-making, legislative and litigation matters.
Areas of Concentration
· Land use and zoning law, permitting, compliance, enforcement, and litigation
· Environmental law, permitting, compliance, enforcement and litigation
· Real estate acquisition, sale and disposition
· Administrative law, permitting, licensing, rule-making and litigation
· Land development, long-term strategic planning and real estate asset positioning
· Developments of Regional Impact (DRIs)
· Comprehensive planning and plan amendments
· Development agreements
· Master-planned communities in urban and greenfield settings
· Zoning, site planning and platting
· Wetlands regulation and permitting
· Listed species
· Utilities (wastewater, reuse, potable and irrigation water)
· Community development and special districts
· State lands and sovereign submerged lands
· Coastal regulation, permitting and litigation
· Water use regulation, permitting and litigation
· Mitigation banking
· Hazardous waste and substances
· Petroleum regulation
Professional & Community Involvement
· Board Member, Tallahassee Area Chamber of Commerce, 2012-Present
· Chair, Growth Management and Infrastructure Committee, Executive Committee, Tallahassee Area Chamber of Commerce, 2012-Present
· Chair, Capital Area Urban Land Institute (ULI), Leadership Committee, 2012-Present
· Associate Sustaining Member, North Florida Urban Land Institute (ULI), 2012-Present
· Guardian ad Litem, 2nd Judicial Circuit, 2011-Present
· Board Member, Child Advocates II, Incorporated, 2011-2013
· Member, Association of Florida Community Developers, 2007-Present
· Member, Florida Energy Pipeline Association, 2012 - Present
· Member, Tallahassee Area Chamber of Commerce, Governmental Affairs Committee, 2011-2012
· General Counsel (pro bono), Florida Small Business Regional Advisory Council (SBRAC), 2009-2011
· Chairman, Tallahassee-Leon County Planning Commission, 2000-2003
· Commissioner, Tallahassee-Leon County Planning Commission, 1999-2003
· Board Member, Leadership Tallahassee's Board of Governors, 1997-2000
· Chair, Opportunity Tallahassee, 1998-1999
· Board Member, March of Dimes Board of Directors, 1997-1999
· Leadership Tallahassee Class XIV, 1996-1997
· Board Member, Tallahassee Area Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors. 2000-2001
· Member, American Bar Association, 1992-Present
· Member, The Florida Bar, Environmental and Land Use Law Section and the Administrative Law Section, 1993-Present
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law; Environmental Litigation, 2006-2014
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use, 2013
· Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
· Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011 and 2012
· Listed, The Legal 500 United States, 2008-2009 and 2012
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2009
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represents the developer of the 505-acre mixed-use (1,572 residential units, 162,927 sq.ft. office/commercial and 335,000 sq.ft. institutional) traditional neighborhood Canopy project in Tallahassee, Florida.
· Represents a fuel storage and distribution company related to various fuel storage and distribution facilities throughout Florida.
· Represents the developer of the 5,273-acre Old Brick Township Development of Regional Impact mixed-use (5,000 residential units, 150,000 sq.ft. commercial/office, 1,000,000 sq.ft. industrial) project in the City of Palm Coast, Florida.
· Represents the developer of the 13,193-acre On Top of the World Development of Regional Impact (32,400 residential retirement units, 400,000 sq.ft. commercial, etc.), and a 1,811-acre vested project (residential, commercial and industrial) in Marion County, Florida.
· Represents a hospital in the acquisition of real property and development of a free-standing emergency center in Tallahassee, Florida.
· Represented a developer, in conjunction with a major natural gas company, to relocate a regional natural gas pipeline, including the transaction and governmental authorizations.
· Represented a national developer in the establishment of a special improvement district for an infill redevelopment project to facilitate special financing for infrastructure.
· Represents a national aerospace manufacturer on environmental regulatory and compliance matters for industrial facilities.
· Represented Miami-Dade County, Miami International Airport, in the assessment, planning and implementation of environmental cost recovery program, including cost recovery litigation in Miami-Dade County, Florida.
· Represented a utility provider in litigation with several local governments over utility service areas and rights and obligations associated with those areas.
· Represented a major oil and gas company in multiple class action litigation matters arising out of a contaminated site in Escambia County, Florida.
· Represented the developer of Rybovich Marina and Boatyard as part of a large mixed-use project to include up to 147 ultra and mega-yachts, 125 dry storage slips, and a large boatyard facility in Palm Beach County, Florida.
· Represented the developer of the 700-acre Fallschase Development of Regional Impact (1,514 residential units, 35,000 sq. ft. office, 750,000 sq. ft. commercial) in Leon County, Florida.
· Represented the developer of the 3,142-acre Cedar Creek Development of Regional Impact in Baker County, Florida.
· Represented a national developer on several projects in the City of Palm Coast, Flagler County, and the Town of Marineland, including the mixed-used Marineland and Palm Coast Resort redevelopment projects, and Canopy Walk and Tidelands.
· Represented the developer of the Island Gardens mixed-use project, including a mega-yacht marina, on Watson Island in the City of Miami, Florida.
· Represented a developer in the redevelopment of an industrial corridor to mixed-use, including commercial, residential and marina uses in Flagler County, Florida.
· Represented the Town of Palm Beach regarding the permitting and construction of the Phipps Park and Midtown beach restoration projects, Town of Palm Beach, Florida.
· Represented the developer in the redevelopment of the Diplomat Resort, including a hotel, convention center, condominium, golf resort, retail center and marinas in Hollywood, Broward County, Florida.
· Represented a developer on numerous projects throughout Florida including Tesoro and Tesoro Preserve (City of Port St. Lucie), Gardens at Hammock Beach and specific land holdings within the Hammock Dunes Development of Regional Impact (Flagler County), Conservatory (City of Palm Coast), Bella Collina (Lake County), and Quail West (Collier and Lee Counties).
· Represented a developer on numerous projects in Palm Beach County, St. Lucie County, and the City of Port St. Lucie, including the Verano and Reserve Developments of Regional Impact.