Rick Gonzalez represents clients in a wide range of commercial litigation matters before state and federal courts and domestic and international alternative dispute resolution panels. Rick has litigated matters involving negligence, contract disputes, fiduciary relationships, unfair and deceptive trade practices, fraud, business torts, securities, probate issues, and the defense of regulatory investigations.
Rick formerly worked as an attorney at the Federal Trade Commission in Washington, D.C., where he litigated civil actions related to deceptive, unfair or fraudulent trade practices in the financial services industry.
Areas of Concentration
· Complex commercial litigation
· Business torts
· Securities litigation
· Unfair and deceptive trade practices
· Regulatory and enforcement investigations
· Class actions
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Federal Bar Association
· Member, Georgetown University, Alumni Admissions Program
· Member, Hispanic National Bar Association
· Member, The Florida Bar
· Member, The United Way of Miami-Dade County, Older Adults Impact Council
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2013
· Team Member, Honored by SAVE DADE Foundation with the Champions of Equality Award based on role in landmark Florida gay adoption case, May 2011
· Team Member, Daily Business Review, "Most Effective Lawyer" Award, Appellate, 2010
· Listed, Daily Business Review, "Most Effective Lawyer" Award, Pro Bono, 2009
· Defended major international bank and broker-dealer affiliate in a $50 million damages arbitration claim, alleging fraud, negligence, and breach of fiduciary duty, all of which were dismissed by the arbitration panel.
· Served as pro bono, co-counsel for two foster children in a landmark case in which a Miami-Dade County circuit court struck down as unconstitutional a Florida statute barring lesbians and gay men from adopting children. The Florida law barring lesbians and gay men from adopting is the most expansive anti-gay parenting law in the country.
· Represented international hotel chain in wrongful death and negligence case involving forum non conveniens and complex legal issues under Colombian and Venezuelan law.
· Defended major broker-dealer firms in scores of arbitration proceedings.