Mr. Edlin is an accomplished trial lawyer. He has broad experience in both trial and appellate courts including the U.S. Supreme Court. He has tried numerous cases in federal and state courts all over the country and has handled numerous domestic and international arbitrations.
Mr. Edlin handles a wide variety of litigation and routinely acts for companies and their management in areas such as securities, general commercial, contractual disputes, antitrust and intellectual property. He is currently handling major matters for leading financial institutions arising out of the economic downturn and real estate collapse, for leading pharmaceutical companies involved in contract disputes, antitrust investigations and intellectual property matters and for significant individuals involved in various commercial disputes.
Mr. Edlin has been recognized and selected as a leading litigator by numerous professional publications, including Chambers & Partners USA Guide to Leading Business Lawyers, The Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers, Lawdragon and Martindale-Hubbell. Mr. Edlin is a frequent lecturer on litigation strategy and is the author of Courtroom Strategies for Litigation Success.
Mr. Edlin is a member of the Board of Governors of Hackensack University Medical Center, where he serves on the finance committee; a trustee of The Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs, where he chairs the development committee; a member of the Economic Club of New York; a fellow of the Litigation Council of America and a trustee of New Jersey SEEDS, among other professional and community activities.
Mr. Edlin received his B.A. degree from Tufts University, magna cum laude in history, was a varsity athlete and the winner of the New Jersey Rhodes Scholarship competition. He received his law degree from Columbia University School of Law, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and Notes editor of the Columbia Journal of Environmental Law. Following his graduation, Mr. Edlin served as law clerk to Hon. Lee P. Gagliardi of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Mr. Edlin is the Chair of the New York Litigation Practice, the Chair for Regional Operations, focusing on the firm's offices outside the United States, and is a member of the Firm's Executive Committee.
Areas of Concentration
· Commercial litigation, including securities and antitrust
· Intellectual property litigation
· Domestic and international arbitrations, including matters before the ICC, CIETAC, HKIAC and the UN.
· Life sciences
· Venture capital
· Regulatory investigations
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, The Economic Club of New York
· Board of Governors, Hackensack University Medical Center (fourth largest university medical center in the United States)
· Litigation Counsel of America, (fellow)
· Board of Trustees, New Jersey Seeds
· Member, Judiciary Committee of the Federation Internationale du Sport Universitaire
· Member, International Bar Association
· Bar Association of the City of New York
· Lecturer to the New York City High School for Leadership and Public Service's program on Sexual Harassment
· Member, Board of Directors, Youth Education Through Sports, Inc.
· Advisory Board Member, The Entrepreneurship Institute
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2005-2014
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2008-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, New York Super Lawyers, 2006-2013
· Listed, Who's Who in American Law
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Law clerk, Honorable Lee P. Gagliardi, United States District Court, Southern District of New York, 1985-1986
· Mr. Edlin has been interviewed frequently concerning his representation of his clients and has appeared on CNN, ABC and CBS Television and has been quoted in The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, The Washington Times, Law360, The Daily Telegraph (London), Investors Business Daily, The Hill, Reuters, The Associated Press, The New York Post, The Civil RICO Reporter, and numerous other publications.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· PLI Panelist, "Judge's Pet Peeves"
· Panelist, Commercial Division Advisory Panel
· Speaker, "Trends of Tax Courts in the Resolution of International Tax Matters" Tax Issues on International Transactions Conference
· Speaker, Institutional Investor Outsourcing Symposium, Litigation Issues Affecting Outsourcing Transactions
· Speaker, "Insolvency and Reorganization, Where Do We Go From Here? " Mindshare Ventures Conference
· Invited Speaker, "Supreme Court Decisions Affecting Business," The Director's Roundtable
· Invited Speaker, "Impact of Kushner v. King," ABA Antitrust Division's Annual Meeting, April 2002 (argued by Mr. Edlin in the Supreme Court during the April 2001 Term resulting in a 9-0 judgment for Mr. Edlin's client)
· Speaker, "Litigating Technology Cases"
· Author, "Courtroom Strategies For Litigation Success," Reedlogic Video Leadership Seminars, 2006
(Also at Seoul, Korea Office)