Richard A. Paikoff focuses his practice on intellectual property, with emphasis on patent prosecution, client counseling and opinions in the areas of chemical process technology, microbiology, and organic and inorganic chemistry. He has authored more than two hundred patents and patent applications in various technical fields, including silicones, fragrance delivery technologies, biocides, scale and corrosion inhibitors, polyolefins, composites and packaging materials.
Prior to joining the firm, he served as a patent attorney at BetzDearborn Inc., a specialty chemical company. He is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and is admitted in Pennsylvania and the District of Columbia.
A member of the Intellectual Property Section of the American Bar Association, the Pennsylvania Bar Association and the American Chemical Society, Mr. Paikoff is a 1989 graduate of Albany Law School, a graduate of Union College (M.B.A.) and a graduate of Colgate University.
Areas of Practice
· Intellectual Property Law
· Patent Applications in the Chemical and Biological Arts
· Prosecuted U.S. Patent No. 6,534,590, pertaining to a silicone-grafted vinyl copolymer emulsion composition that can produce highly water repellent films, on behalf of a specialty chemical company.
· Prosecuted U.S. Patent No. 6,550,474, related to nasal dilators and strips and methods for their manufacture, on behalf of a consumer products company.
· Prosecuted (to PTO Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences) U.S. Patent No. 7,651,852, pertaining to a method and apparatus for aeration of organic material wherein the organic material undergoes an aerobic composting process, on behalf of a waste-management-services company.
· Prosecuted (to PTO Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences) U.S. Patent No. 7,880,029, related to a method for dispersing and maintaining polymerization by-products in suspension during acrylic acid and acrylate monomer formation, on behalf of a specialty chemical company.
· Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2000-Present
- Special Counsel, 1999
· BetzDearborn Inc., Trevose, Pennsylvania
- Patent Attorney, 1990-1999
· Heslin and Rothenberg, P.C., Albany, New York
- Associate, 1989-1990
· American Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Section
· Pennsylvania Bar Association
· American Chemical Society
Honors and Awards
· AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
· Free Library of Northampton Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania
- Vice Chair, Board of Directors, 1995-1998
Publications and Speaking Engagements
· Co-Author, "Another Wipeout for the Doctrine of Equivalents," The Legal Intelligencer, March 7, 2002
· Co-Author, "A New Weapon for Alleged Infringers?: Patent Drafter Estoppel Explored," Federal Circuit Bar Journal, May 2001
· Co-Author, "Federal Circuit Shows Recent Trend of Narrowing Patent Claims Under DOE," The Legal Intelligencer, May 4, 2000
Selected Speaking Engagements
· Speaker, "Protecting Assets," Bio-entrepreneurship course in the Pharmaceutical Marketing MBA program at St. Joseph's University, June 1-2, 2007