Richard A. Silfen recently returned to Duane Morris after having served as Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary of American Realty Capital Properties. Mr. Silfen practices in the area of corporate law with concentrations in securities and mergers and acquisitions. He advises publicly traded companies in connection with public and private debt and equity securities offerings. He also advises fund sponsors and their portfolio companies in mergers and acquisition and financing transactions. In addition, Mr. Silfen advises clients in connection with control and non-control investments in publicly traded and privately owned businesses, as well as senior, high-yield, mezzanine and other debt issuances using complex structures and restructurings of multi-layer debt.
Mr. Silfen also assists emerging and private equity-backed companies to develop plans for the growth and development of their businesses and technologies, including financing transactions, collaborative and strategic partnerships, and joint venture arrangements. He also works with clients to facilitate public reporting and analysis of operating results, and advises on internal audit functions and related matters.
Since 2009, during Mr. Silfen's prior tenure with Duane Morris, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business included him as one of the leading corporate lawyers in Pennsylvania. Mr. Silfen has been included in two categories of Chambers listings: Corporate/M&A & Private Equity and Corporate/M&A: Securities. Chambers further described Mr. Silfen as a "a very smart lawyer."
Mr. Silfen is a 1987 graduate of the University of Alabama School of Law and a graduate of Baylor University.
• Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2007-2014, 2015-present
• American Realty Capital Properties, Inc.
- Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary, 2014-2015
• Cangen Biotechnologies, Inc.
- President and Chief Financial Officer, 2004-2006
• Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Partner, 2000-2004
• Wolf, Block, Schorr and Solis-Cohen LLP
- Vice Chairman, Corporate Department, 1999-2000
- Partner, 1996-2000
Honors and Awards
• Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013
• Listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2011-2012
• GMH Communities Trust (sold in two separate transactions to American Campus Communities, Inc. (NYSE: ACC) and Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY) in 2008.)
- Chairman, Nominating and Governance Committee of Board of Trustees
- Chairman, Special Committee of the Board of Trustees, 2006
- Chairman, Nominating and Governance Committee of the Board of Trustees, 2004-2008
- Member, Audit Committee of the Board of Trustees, 2004-2008
Publications and Speaking Engagements
• Co-author, "Guide to Publicly Offered Private Placements Under New Rule 506(c)," Duane Morris Alert, September 26, 2013
• Co-author, "NASDAQ Proposes Listing Rules Relating to Compensation Committees," Duane Morris Alert, October 12, 2012
• Co-author, "NYSE Proposes Listing Standards Relating to Compensation Committee Member Independence and Compensation Committee Advisers," Duane Morris Alert, October 2, 2012
• Co-author, "SEC Rule Proposal Would Permit Public Offerings in "Private Placements" and Facilitate Capital Formation," Duane Morris Alert, September 13, 2012
• Co-author, "SEC Adopts Final Rule on Disclosure of Payments by Resource Extraction Issuers," Duane Morris Alert, August 30, 2012
• Co-author, "SEC Adopts Final Rule on Disclosure of Use of Conflict Minerals," Duane Morris Alert, August 29, 2012
• Co-author, "SEC Adopts Rules on Independence of Compensation Committees and Compensation Advisers; New Listing Standards to Be Proposed by September 25, 2012," Duane Morris Alert, June 27, 2012
• Co-author, "JOBS Act Enacted, Imposes Substantial Deregulation on the Mechanics of Securities Offerings," Duane Morris Alert, April 13, 2012
• Author, "Due Diligence Review of Internal Controls: Focusing Beyond the Numbers," Deal Lawyers, November-December 2007
Selected Speaking Engagements
• Speaker, "Navigating Today's REIT Terrain: What Lies Ahead?," Global REIT Summit 2013, New York City, October 2, 2013
• Speaker, "Accounting Issues," RR Donnelley's SEC Hot Topics Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 21, 2011
• Moderator, "Biotech Perspective's on Key Considerations for Structuring a Winning Deal" panel, Pharmaceutical Collaboration and Transaction Accounting Conference, September 18, 2007
• Speaker,"Internal Controls: The Latest Developments," Society of Corporate Secretaries & Governance Professionals Mid-Atlantic Chapter Annual Meeting Program, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, May 21, 2007