Richard A. Sirus focuses his practice on corporate, transactional, tax, employee benefits, executive compensation and health law. He represents clients ranging from publicly traded companies to Taft-Hartley Benefit Funds, including sole proprietorships and executives, providing counsel on general corporate, planning and fiduciary matters, with broad experience in the design, preparation, implementation and administration of retirement plans, employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs), health plans, executive compensation arrangements and fringe benefit programs. Rich consults regularly with clients regarding fiduciary responsibility and liability matters. He also represents and consults with executives in the assessment, negotiation and preparation of employment arrangements and agreements, including compensation and bonus packages, option and equity arrangements, benefits programs, and termination arrangements.
Rich works with taxable and tax-exempt organizations, including consultation regarding multiple and multiemployer plan matters. He has represented clients before the Internal Revenue Service, the U.S. Department of Labor and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. He has also served as an expert witness on fiduciary liability and claims issues.
Areas of Concentration
· Corporate and transactional
· Employee benefits
· Executive compensation
· Health law
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
· Member, Illinois CPA Society/Foundation
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Legal 500 United States, 2013
· Listed, Leading Lawyers Network, 2006-2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2010-2013
· Represented Healthsense, Inc., a leading provider of aging services technologies in connection with its acquisition by merger of WellAware Systems, Inc., a provider of vital wellness monitoring systems.
· Representation of Brentwood Associates in the acquisition of Soft Surroundings, a direct marketer and specialty retailer of branded apparel, accessories, beauty products and home furnishings.
· Representation of administrative agent and lead lender in providing a unitranche asset-based $55 million credit facility to a global print and online media company and its subsidiaries.
· Certified Public Accountant
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Speaker, "Pension Protection Act of 2006: Impact on Multiemployer Collectively Bargained Plans," ASPPA Benefits Council of Chicago, March 2007
· Speaker, "Pension Plan Freezes and Terminations: Mechanics and Law," Annual Meeting of the Society of Actuaries, October 2006
· Speaker, "Fiduciary Duties and Responsibilities for Professionals," Robert W. Baird and Co. Professional Services, October 2003
· Speaker, "Nuts and Bolts of 401(k) Plans," Lorman Education Services, October 2002
· Speaker, "Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001," How Your Retirement Plan Can Benefit Seminar, Bank One, September 2001
· Speaker, "Global Benefits," Illinois CPA Foundation, May 2000
· Speaker, "S Corp ESOPS: Why, For Whom and How," Illinois CPA Foundation, November 1999
· Speaker, "Executive Compensation for the New Millennium," Grant Thornton LLC, October 1999