|Contact Info||Telephone: 305.579.0521|
|University ||Emory University, B.A., Economics, magna cum laude, 1970|
|Law School||Emory University School of Law, J.D., 1973 Member, Emory University Law Review, Student Director, Research, Writing and Advocacy Program, Recipient of numerous advocacy awards at the law school at regional and national levels|
|Admitted||1973, Georgia; 1979, Florida; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit; U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia; U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida; Supreme Court of the United States|
|Memberships ||American Bar Association. |
|Born||New York, N.Y., October 16, 1948|
Richard G. Garrett serves as the firm's Vice President and Chief Legal Officer. For eight years, he was Chairman of the Litigation Practice. His legal career spans 37 years.
Areas of Concentration
· Securities litigation
· Complex commercial litigation
· Professional liability defense
· Constitutional litigation
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2007
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented city of Hialeah, Florida, before the Supreme Court of the United States in the widely reported constitutional law case involving the issue of whether members of the Santeria church could lawfully perform animal sacrifices as part of their religious practice.
· Represented Microsoft Corporation in Florida in defense of consumer antitrust class actions alleging monopolization of computer operating systems.
· Represented national law firm and 125 of its partners in defense of a $500 million claim alleging malpractice in connection with a failed savings and loan association.
· Represented City Investing Company Liquidating Trust in defense of claims for breach of warranty and negligent misrepresentation as to financial statements used in connection with the sale of Southern California Savings & Loan Association.
· Represented Warner Bros., Inc. and Lorimar Telepictures Corporation in defense of claim for breach of warranty in connection with the sale of television stations located in Puerto Rico.
· Represented Florida State Board of Administration in prosecution of claims against a national bank involving breach of a trust holding pension funds belonging to employees of the state of Florida.
· Represented Magazine Publishers Association before the Supreme Court of Florida involving questions concerning the constitutionality of the proposed tax on services by the state of Florida.
· Represented Chase Manhattan Bank in state and federal class action securities cases seeking rescission of investments in real estate funds.
· Represented numerous public companies such as Applica Incorporated, Windmere Corporation, C.V. REIT, Inc., Perfumania, Inc., General Development Corporation, and Gencor Industries, Inc. and certain of their officers and directors, in defense of federal securities law class action claims.
· Represented John Alden Life Insurance Company in litigation and administrative proceedings challenging, on constitutional grounds, certain provisions of the Insurance Company Holding Act as part of hostile takeover litigation.
· Represented Pacific International Equities, Inc. and related corporations in a corporate dissolution action seeking to dissolve corporations with an asset value in excess of $100 million on the grounds of corporate deadlock.
· Represented national law firms with respect to malpractice cases commenced in Florida.
· Represented Rose Kennedy and other members of the Kennedy family as co-counsel in federal court in connection with their efforts to enjoin, on constitutional grounds (privacy rights) the newspaper publication of death scene and autopsy photographs of her grandson, David Kennedy.
· Represented Windmere Corporation in federal court in an action against it seeking to reinstate federal judgments on state unfair competition claims which had been vacated by a court order as part of the settlement of a $100 million antitrust judgment in favor of Windmere.
· Represented American Association of University Professors in a class action challenging the State of Georgia's rescission of yearly salary raises for all professors at state universities.
· Represented substantial contract claims, general business torts, and matters involving insurance coverage.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Speaker, "Meeting of the Minds: An Interactive General Counsel Roundtable," Law Firm Liability Forum, May 9-10, 2006
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#1,264 in weekly profile views out of 9,697 lawyers in Miami, Florida|
|#133,092 in weekly profile views out of 1,510,377 total lawyers Overall|