Richard I. Leher's practice focuses on the music industry as well as other areas of the entertainment business. He has extensive experience representing recording artists, record producers, music publishers, songwriters, personal managers, agents, record companies, publishing companies, various technology companies and executives.
Prior to joining the firm, he was an executive at Hollywood Records, a division of the Walt Disney Company, and at DreamWorks Records, where he was involved in all aspects of the legal, business, financial, and strategic operations of those companies. He also was a partner and head of the music department at Mitchell, Silberberg & Knupp LLP.
Areas of Concentration
· Recording, producer, music publishing, songwriting, personal management and agency agreements.
· Employment and related agreements for executives in the entertainment business.
· Sale and acquisition agreements for record companies, publishing companies and other entertainment companies.
· Domestic and foreign record, DVD, and publishing license agreements.
· Digital distribution and related agreements.
· Tour, sponsorship, merchandising and related agreements.
· Record and DVD pressing and distribution agreements, joint venture and related agreements.
· Licensing of mastering recordings, musical compositions, visual images and other intellectual property for film, television, commercials, games and other media.
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Century City Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Entertainment Law - Motion Pictures and Television, Music, 2008-2014
· Named, U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Law Firm of the Year" in Entertainment Law - Music, 2011-2012
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5