Richard Cohen, the firm's Managing Partner, is a founding partner of the firm, Co-Chair of the Global Insurance Services Practice Group, Chair of the Professional Liability Practice Group, and a member of the Sports and Entertainment Practice Group. An AV-rated trial lawyer with 25 years of experience, Rick's practice primarily involves sophisticated insurance coverage and bad faith matters, reinsurance, and D&O and E&O litigation. He is admitted to practice in state and federal courts in New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Connecticut, and North Carolina, including the United States Courts of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits, and is a registered foreign lawyer in the United Kingdom. He splits his time between the firm's Manhattan and Buffalo offices.
Rick is well published, and he has lectured across the country and in Canada on a wide range of topics involving insurance coverage, bad faith, reinsurance, E&O and D&O issues, as well as sports law issues. Among other things, he has several times authored the annual Survey of New York Insurance Law published in the Syracuse University Law Review. He has also written for both Mealey's and Appleman's, including the chapter Calculating the Amount of Coverage in New Appleman on Insurance 3d Edition.
Rick is the former National Co-Chair of the Insurance Company Relations Subcommittee of the 22,000 member Defense Research Institute (DRI), and currently serves as Chairman Emeritus of the National Committee for the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM). He has been a CPCU instructor and lecturer for well over a decade. He has on multiple occasions been selected for inclusion in New York Super Lawyers. He has also been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, has been named to the Legal Elite of Western New York, and is one of a select group of lawyers in the United States inducted into the invitation-only American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel. He has been a featured speaker at the 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 CPCU Annual Meetings.
• Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: AV Preeminent
• Best Lawyers in America 2014-2015 (Insurance Law)
• Top Rated Lawyer in Litigation, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2014
• Top Rated Lawyer in Insurance Law, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
• Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition
• Upstate New York Super Lawyers (Insurance Coverage)
• Business First's Legal Elite of Western New York (Insurance)
• Board of Directors, Mathewson-McCarthy Babe Ruth Youth Baseball League, Amherst, New York (2005-2006)
• Roswell Park Alliance Board (1996-2001): Executive Committee (1999-2001); Corporate Committee, Co-Chair (1996-2001)
• Instructor - CPCU and AIC Programs (2000-2003)