- Corporate & Securities
- Real Estate
- Mergers & Acquisitions
|Contact Info||Telephone: 703.903.7505|
|University ||Tufts University, B.A., Mathematics, magna cum laude, 1973|
|Law School||Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1976; New York University School of Law, LL.M., Tax, 1977|
|Admitted||1977, Maryland; 1980, District of Columbia; 2003, Virginia|
|Born||Washington, D.C., April 17, 1951|
Rick Melnick has developed a national practice emphasizing his talent for negotiation in such diverse areas as corporate mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and complex real estate transactions. He represents public and private companies that purchase, sell, or finance business and real estate assets throughout the U.S. With an LL.M in tax, Rick structures his clients' transactions for the most effective business and tax solutions, and strives for an ideal outcome.
Areas of Concentration
· Real estate acquisitions and finance
· Mergers and acquisitions
· Tax law - domestic and international
· Joint ventures
· Mortgage finance
Professional & Community Involvement
· Executive Committee Member, Washington Heart Leadership Council
Awards & Recognition
· Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
· Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011 and 2012
· Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Real Estate, 2010
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Negotiated and structured the purchase of $115 million office building and negotiated $80 million of mortgage financing.
· Negotiated the acquisition of several software companies.
· Obtained a private letter ruling permitting a deferred "like-kind exchange" transaction with a related party.
· Negotiated several credit facilities including an unsecured syndicated $300 million line of credit facility for a retail shopping center REIT and a secured syndicated $100 million credit facility.
· Structured numerous real estate joint ventures for a pension fund to avoid "unrelated business income tax" issues.
· Negotiated the sale of numerous retail mortgage companies.
· Counseled clients regarding option plans, "profits interests" and other equity-flavored compensation programs, such as phantom stock plans.
· Provided tax structuring advice regarding the sale of a $300 million publishing business.
· Structured the sale-leaseback of several biomass facilities to enable the lessor to obtain the investment tax credit, including obtaining a ruling that permitted client, the lessee, to transfer the investment tax credit to the lessor while retaining the energy tax credit.
· Lobbied Congressional staff on pending tax legislation, including obtaining several "transition rules" for clients. Met with Treasury and IRS officials on proposed regulations, including obtaining a reversal of IRS' position regarding the definition of interest for information reporting purposes. Applied for several rulings from the IRS and prepared and argued protests of IRS audit results to the Appellate Division of the IRS.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Frequent lecturer on tax, liability and corporate aspects of mergers and acquisitions, and on uses of different entities in business planning.
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#553 in weekly profile views out of 16,912 lawyers in McLean, Virginia|
|#55,930 in weekly profile views out of 1,505,564 total lawyers Overall|