Richard N. Bernstein focuses his practice on corporate finance, including debt and equity; strategic and venture capital financings; mergers and acquisitions; distribution, licensing and technology transfer transactions; domestic and international joint ventures; nonprofit organizations; strategic partner transactions; and general corporate matters. He represents companies and organizations at all stages of development with a wide range of industry experience, including defense procurement, homeland security, software, Internet, telecommunications, pharmaceutical, aviation and textile businesses. Richard also counsels private and public companies in a variety of matters, including formation, financing, intellectual property, and strategic alliances. Richard manages mergers and acquisition transactions and technology licensing matters in the United States, Israel, Poland, the Netherlands, Russia, Ukraine, Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay.
Areas of Concentration
• International and cross-border transactions
• Mergers and acquisitions
• Venture capital and private equity
• Nonprofit governance and operations
Professional & Community Involvement
• Member of Executive Committee and Board of Governors, The Jewish Agency for Israel and Jewish Federations of North America
• Chair, United Israel Appeal, Jewish Federation of North America
• Advisory Board Member, Dutch Jewish Humanitarian Fund
• Board Member of the American Joint Distribution Committee; Van Leer Jerusalem Institute; The iCenter.org; Greater Miami Jewish Federation; American Friends of Ben Gurion University of the Negev
• Founder and Chairman, Florida-Israel Chamber of Commerce
• Member, American Bar Association
• Member, Dade County Bar Association
• Member, The Florida Bar, Business Law Section
• Advisory Board Member, MindCET Educational Software Incubator, Yerusham, Israel
Awards & Recognition
• Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2005-2014
• Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2005-2012 and 2014
• Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America's Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
• Member, team ranked as a top corporate law firm in Miami as selected by corporate directors, in the annual "Legal Industry Research Study" by Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc. (10th year), 2002-2009, 2011-2012
• Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
• Represented Argentina's Argencard SA, a credit card payment processor in Argentina and Uruguay, in its $200 million sale to First Data Corp., an electronic commerce and payment services company.
• Acted as United States general counsel for a $3 billion Argentine private equity firm.
• Represented fourth-largest professional employer organization (PEO) in the United States in sale to Accretive, LLC, and in subsequent acquisition of Selective HR Services, LLC.
• Acted as lead counsel in matter involving €50.0 million euro-denominated debt offering on behalf of Latin American foreign bank issuer.
• Acted as special counsel to government of the United Kingdom involving a $480 million privatization transaction.
• Acted as U.S. lead acquisition counsel for $10 billion foreign national airline carrier's repair and maintenance division.
• Acted as U.S. lead counsel for $60 million Israeli-based technology venture capital fund.
• Acted as corporate counsel for reorganization matters for National Basketball Association franchisee, Miami Heat.
• Represented Hope Center, Inc., a Florida not-for-profit for physically and mentally disabled adults, in merger with United Cerebral Palsy, Inc.
• Acted as general counsel for private aircraft developer in strategic partnership with Israel Aircraft Industries, Ltd.
• Acted as global general counsel for One Laptop Per Child Association, Inc.
• Acted as general counsel for the Miami Art Museum.
• Certified Public Accountant, Florida, 1978 (inactive)
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
• Featured, "Greenberg Shareholder Guides $200M Sale of Argentina Company," Daily Business Review, December 27, 2006
Associated News & Events
07.02.14, 98 Greenberg Traurig Attorneys Named 2014 Florida Super Lawyers
12.13.12, Greenberg Traurig Attorney Richard N. Berstein Becomes Chair of United Israel Appeal
05.31.12, Greenberg Traurig Listed as a Top Corporate Firm for the 10th Time in Corporate Board Member magazine
05.30.12, 86 Greenberg Traurig Attorneys to Be Listed in Florida Super Lawyers magazine 2012
09.21.11, 103 Greenberg Traurig Attorneys in Florida Listed In Best Lawyers in America 2012
07.22.11, Greenberg Traurig Takes Top Spot in Florida on mergermarket Legal Adviser Second Quarter League Table
06.17.11, More than 70 Greenberg Traurig Attorneys Recognized in the 2011 edition of Florida Super Lawyers
09.14.09, Pro Bono Spotlight - September
05.20.09, Greenberg Traurig Named Best Corporate Law Firm in Miami by Corporate Board Member Magazine for 8th Consecutive Year
07.31.07, Greenberg Traurig Named Best Corporate Law Firm in Miami 6th Consecutive Year
09.14.09, Pro Bono Spotlight - September
07.01.05, Legislation Allows Sale, Service in Florida of Insurance by Foreign Issuers