- Investment management
- Philanthropy & charitable giving
|Contact Info||Telephone: +1 203 974 0317|
Fax: +1 203 285 1617
|University ||Northwestern University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1983|
|Law School||Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1986; New York University School of Law, LL.M., 1990|
|Admitted||1986, New Jersey; 1987, New York; 1993, Florida; 1996, Illinois; 2002, Connecticut|
|Born||Newark, New Jersey, April 15, 1961|
Richard has a practice focusing on cross-border estate, gift and income tax planning for owners of privately held companies and other high-net-worth U.S. and foreign individuals.
He focuses on pre-immigration and pre-expatriation tax planning, offshore trusts and foundations deferred compensation planning for fund manager and structures involving life insurance. He has been heavily involved in advising clients on the IRS Voluntary Disclosure programs.
· Structuring UK operations for hedge fund management company.
· Structuring joint venture for US and UK investors in carbon trading operations.
· US tax compliance and trust planning for wealthy Asian family.
Publications and speaking engagements
· Presentation on "FATCA Checklist for Buy-Side Firms - Where Should You be Now?" presented at Financial Technology Forum FATCA Briefing, New York, March 2013.
· Presentation on "Tax Consequences of Hedge Fund Structures," presented at Hedge Fund Tax 101, New York, June 2010.
· Co-author of "Must I Still Disclose My Foreign Account?" WIthers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, March 2010.
· Co-author of "Effects of Section 457A on Deferred Compensation," Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Notes, November 2008.
· "'Treaty Tie-Breakers and Non-Resident Aliens".
· "Asset Preservation The U.S. Perspective".
· "U.S. Income Tax Definitions and Planning for Residency/Domicile Change".
· "Estate Planning for the Alien The Danger of the Mixed Marriage".
· "Introduction to Overseas Asset Protection Trusts".
· Presentation to lawyers at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, P.C. "Tax Planning for Immigrants," New York, April 2003.
American Bar Association
On a personal note
Richard is an avid gardener in the spring and summer months in Connecticut.
News & publications
Final FATCA Regulations Released
FATCA Model 2 Agreement Released
IRS Extends FATCA Implementation Deadlines (For the Last Time?)
United States and United Kingdom Sign Bilateral Agreement to Implement FATCA
Drafts of FATCA Model Intergovernmental Agreements Released
FATCA: The other shoe drops
Final Regulations Governing the FBAR Filing Requirement
Must I still Disclose My Foreign Account?
US Voluntary Disclosure FAQs
Caught Up in the Foreign Bank Account Reporting Pandemic?
US Foreign Bank Account Reporting Requirements
Effects of 457A on Deferred Compensation
Effects of Section 457A on Deferred Compensation
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#221 in weekly profile views out of 1,676 lawyers in New Haven, Connecticut|
|#140,279 in weekly profile views out of 1,500,634 total lawyers Overall|