Rick D. Bailey tries complex commercial disputes in federal and state courts and before arbitration panels and regulatory authorities. Such disputes have included breach of contracts, leases and software licenses, breach of fiduciary duties, fraud and unfair competition, theft of trade secrets, breach of non-competes, regulation and tariffs, business valuation, business, corporate, partnership and LLC formation and dissolution.
Prior to joining Burg Simpson, Mr. Bailey was a trial lawyer, partner and leader at a prominent western law firm. From 2000 through 2002, Mr. Bailey served as Senior Vice President and General Counsel for AT&T Broadband, where he served as senior legal counsel and local government affairs officer for the 40,000-employee cable and broadband division of AT&T Corp. AT&T's combination of TCI and MediaOne created the largest cable company at that time. Between June 1997 and April 2000, Mr. Bailey was the Senior Vice President of Federal Government Affairs for AT&T Corp, responsible for the day-to-day operations of AT&T's federal government affairs office and its relations with the Executive Branch, the Congress, the State Department, the FCC and other regulatory agencies, trade associations and think-tanks in Washington, D.C.. Prior to joining AT&T in 1988, Mr. Bailey was a trial lawyer in Chicago.
Mr. Bailey received his law degree from the University of Wisconsin, graduating cum laude, in 1982. Mr. Bailey is also a 1979 graduate of Illinois State University, having received a BS, with honors, in Political Science. Mr. Bailey is licensed to practice law in Illinois, Colorado, Wisconsin and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
Mr. Bailey is also a member of the faculty of the National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Master Barrister, William E. Doyle American Inn of Court.
· Faculty - National Institute of Trial Advocacy (2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013)
· Member of the General Counsel and Commercial Litigation Mediation panels of CPR, the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution
· Steering Committee - International Arbitration Committee of the ABA International Law Section
· Steering Committee Abrahamic Initiative (seeking dialogue and understanding among Christians, Jews and Muslims, 2011-present
· Board of Trustees - Colorado Symphony Orchestra, 2006-December, 2009
· Corporate Development Committee - Colorado Symphony Orchestra, October 2012-present
Publications and Speaking Engagements
· Chair, Annual Telecommunications Program, CLE International, 2008-2012
· Trade Secrets - Colorado Chapter of ACC, 2012
· Psychoanalysis and the Lawyer/Client Relationship - Presentation with Dr. David Stevens at the Doyle Inn of Court
(Senior Vice President and Chief Counsel)