Rick Shackelford's practice focuses on complex litigation in numerous fields, including consumer class actions, bankruptcy, securities, insurance, real estate, commercial law and product liability. He has considerable experience in consumer class action litigation, having been involved in class actions in federal courts in several states. In addition, his practice includes trials and appeals, in many instances involving cases he has handled from their initial pleading stages. He has also represented debtors and creditors in bankruptcy actions throughout California, as well as in Ohio, Texas and Nevada, and has defended and prosecuted avoidance actions.
Rick also significant experience in the field of false advertising. He has successfully defended three major juice companies in federal jury trials in cases brought by competitors alleging false advertising in violation of the Lanham Act. He has also represented several other food and juice makers in consumer class actions alleging deceptive trade practices and false advertising, including challenges to nutrition, ingredient and health claims made in a variety of media.
Rick has been involved in U.S.-based litigation for foreign clients, including clients located in Spain, France, Germany, Austria, Taiwan and the People's Republic of China. He has represented foreign clients in such diverse substantive areas as bankruptcy, corporate governance, RICO, real estate, and general commercial, contract, and distributorship disputes. He has tried cases for foreign clients in numerous courts as well as in commercial arbitration.
Areas of Concentration
· Consumer Class Action and False Advertising Litigation
· Food Product Litigation
· Bankruptcy Litigation
· Securities Litigation
· Insurance Litigation
· Real Estate Litigation
· Commercial Law Litigation
· Product Liability
Professional & Community Involvement
· Board Member, Los Angeles County Bar Foundation
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Century City Bar Association
· Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, Los Angeles and San Francisco Daily Journal, "Top 20 Defense Verdicts," 2011
· BTI Client Service All Star, 2011
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Served as lead trial counsel in defending Tropicana Products Co., Inc., Welch Foods, Inc. and Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc. in three separate jury trials involving claims of false advertising in violation of the Lanham Act. All three cases resulted in defense judgments.
· Represented PepsiCo, Inc., Smart Balance, Inc., Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc. and Welch's Inc., as well as numerous other companies in consumer class actions alleging false advertising.
· Served as lead counsel for PepsiCo in several consumer class action cases based upon claims of benzene in soft drink products and in connection with allegedly deceptive marketing of cereal products.
· Counseled clients on potential consumer claims based upon the marketing of food products sweetened with sucralose and on California's Proposition 65.
· Served as counsel to General Motors in claims involving real property and environmental disputes pertaining to former manufacturing facilities.
· Represented Lehman Brothers in the defense of claims arising from the KPMG tax shelter scandal.
· Represented tobacco companies in numerous product liability cases, including both individual smoking cases and smoker class actions in California, Arizona, Nevada, and Minnesota.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Panelist, CLE program on "No Jury" Consumer Class Actions, Class Action Monitor and Strafford Publications, August 2007
· Quoted in The National Law Journal article "Consumer Class Actions on the Rise," July 2007