Rick L. Shackelford's practice focuses on complex litigation in numerous fields, including consumer class actions, product liability, false advertising, bankruptcy, securities, insurance, real estate and commercial law. He has considerable experience in consumer class action litigation, having been involved in class actions in federal courts in several states. In addition, his practice includes trials and appeals, in many instances involving cases he has handled from their initial pleading stages. He has defended clients in consumer product liability cases, including Proposition 65 claims. He has also represented debtors and creditors in bankruptcy actions throughout California, as well as in Ohio, Texas and Nevada, and has defended and prosecuted avoidance actions.
Rick also has significant experience in the field of false advertising. He has successfully defended three major juice companies in federal jury trials in cases brought by competitors alleging false advertising in violation of the Lanham Act. He has also represented several other food and juice makers in consumer class actions alleging deceptive trade practices and false advertising, including challenges to nutrition, ingredient and health claims made in a variety of media.
Rick has been involved in U.S.-based litigation for foreign clients, including clients located in Spain, France, Germany, Austria, Taiwan and the People's Republic of China. He has represented foreign clients in such diverse substantive areas as bankruptcy, corporate governance, RICO, real estate, and general commercial, contract, and distributorship disputes. He has tried cases for foreign clients in numerous courts as well as in commercial arbitration.
Areas of Concentration
• Consumer Class Action and False Advertising Litigation
• Product Liability
• Food Product Litigation
• Toxic Torts
• Bankruptcy Litigation
• Securities Litigation
• Insurance Litigation
• Real Estate Litigation
• Commercial Law Litigation
Awards & Recognition
• Listed, Los Angeles and San Francisco Daily Journal, Top 20 Defense Verdicts, 2011
• Named, Client Service All Star, BTI Client Service All-Stars Report, 2011
• Rated, AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5
AV, BV, AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
Associated News & Events
12.20.10 Greenberg Traurig Defeats Plaintiff on all Claims in Jury Trial for Tropicana
11.12.10 Tropicana Prevails in Federal Court Today in Los Angeles; Jury Rejects All of POM's Claims
09.30.10 Greenberg Traurig Prevails in Jury Trial for Welch Foods, Inc.
Articles, Publications, & Lectures
• Featured, Checking In: Rick L. Shackelford, Greenberg Traurig, LLP, Practical Law The Journal, February/March 2014
• Speaker, You're Facing a Consumer Fraud Class Action, Now What?: Leveraging Strategic Approaches to Weather the Storm and Increase Your Chances of a Successful Outcome from the Beginning, 3rd Advanced Summit on Defending Food & Beverage Consumer Fraud Litigation, San Francisco, CA, January 28, 2014
• Panelist, CLE program on No Jury Consumer Class Actions, Class Action Monitor and Strafford Publications, August 2007
• Quoted, Consumer Class Actions on the Rise, The National Law Journal, July 2007