1. Rita Mae Schmidt et ux V. AC&S Inc. et al; Cause No. D-145, 280; In the 136th Judicial District Court of Jefferson County, Texas. Tried April/May 1994 - Successfully defended Monsanto Company in the First Asbestos Premises Liability case tried in the State of Texas.
a."Deadly Trades: Workers Needlessly Endangered", Houston Chronicle, Sunday Oct. 9, 1994.
b."Texas Jury Awards $4.1 Million to Family in Secondhand Exposure Suit", Toxic Law Reporter, May 11, 1994.
2. James Slaughter et al v. Monsanto Co., Cause No. 85-17210-C; In the I51st Judicial District Court of Harris County, Texas. Tried Fall of 1989 through Feb. of 1990 - Successfully defended Monsanto Company in $600 Million suit brought by 222 homeowners who lived next to a toxic waste site -- reported to be the longest case tried in Harris County, TX. Reported at Barras v. Monsanto Co., 831 S.W.2d 859 (Tex. App.-Houston [14th Dist.] 1992, writ denied).
a. Defense Wins Can Be Just As Significant as Plaintiffs' Splashy Successes", The National Law Journal, Vol.13 No.27, March 11, 1991.
b. "A Texas-Size Blunder: How Crum & Forster's Tricky Legal Tactics Backfired to the Tune of $270 Million," The American Lawyer, Dec.1992.
c. "State Court Clears Monsanto, Jury Rides on Case Over Toxic Waste: 222 Homeowners Get Nothing in Damages," The Houston Post, Tuesday, Feb.13, 1990.
d. "Family Leaves Toxic Waste Site Behind, But Health Fears Linger:
Ex-Residents Vow to Continue Battle," The Houston Post.
e. "Jury's Verdict Angers Residents," The Houston Chronicle.
f. "Monsanto Cleared in Homeowner's Suit: No Evidence of Health Hazard Caused by Company at Waste Site, Jury Says," The Houston Chronicle, Feb.13, 1990.
g. "Jury Gave a Warning Experts Say: Developers in Industry Told to Show Caution When Selecting Sites," The Houston Post, Feb.13, 1990.
h. "Texas Jury Rules Monsanto Not Liable in Houston Homeowners' Contamination Suit," Toxic Law Reporter, Vol.4 No.38, Feb.28, 1990.
I. "Children Caught in Brio Hazardous Waste Site Fracas: Some Parents Want Nearby School Closed," The Houston Post, Mar.11, 1990
j. "Monsanto is Cleared in $600 Million Suit," The Wall Street Journal, Feb.13, 1990.
k. "Big Suits: Slaughter v. Monsanto," Texas Lawyer, Feb.19, 1990.
1. "Monsanto, in Stunner, Wins Big," The National Law Journal, Vol.12 No.25, Feb.26, 1990.
m. "Jury: Monsanto Not Liable in $600 Million Case," Maley's Litigation Reports - Superfund, Vol.2 Issue No.21, Feb.14, 1990.
n. "Blooper Fund - That's Supposed to be Cleanup, Not Cover Up," The Washington Monthly, April 1990.
3. Larkin v. The Dow Chemical Co.; Cause No.87-42943; In the 151st Judicial District Court of Harris County, Texas. Tried Jan./Feb. 1992- Successfully defended The Dow Chemical Company in the trial of 13 representatives of 225 plaintiffs who sought $130 million in damages due to exposure to toxic chemicals while working at a GTE Corp. Microelectronics Assembly plant in Albuquerque, N.M.; reported at the time to be one of the largest non-asbestos. occupational toxic tort cases tried in the United States.
a. "Victorious Unheralded: Defense Lawyers Won Their Share of Jury Verdicts," The National Law Journal, Vol.15 No.28, March 15, 1993.
b. Dow Wins Suit By GTE Workers"; Dallas Daily Commercial Record, Feb.22, 1992.
c. "Toxic Puzzle", Denver Post, June 13, 1993.
d. "Jury Returns Verdict for Dow Chemical Co. in Case Brought by Microelectronic Worker?", The Product Safety & Liability Reporter, Mar. 6, 1992.
e. "Jury Returns Verdict for Dow Chemical Co. in Case Brought by Microelectronic Workers", Toxic Law Reporter, Mar. 4, 1992.
f. "Dow Wins 1, 1, 1 Trichloroethane Trial in Texas," Mealey's Litigation Reports, Vol.1 No.1, April 2, 1992.
g. "Big Suits," Texas Lawyer, March 9, 1992.
4. Curtis, et al v. Monsanto Company, Cause No. B-84-1103-CA; In the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas; Beaumont Division. Tried Aug/Sept. 1997 - Successfully defended Monsanto Company in the trial of eight representatives of 126 plaintiffs who sought in excess of $100 million based upon allegations of occupational exposure to chemicals. Reported at Scott v. Monsanto Co., 868 S.W.2d 786 (5th Cir. 1989).
5. Joseph Edward Powell, et al v Pulte Home Corp., et al; Cause No. 84-75865; In the
125th Judicial District Court of Harris County, Texas. Tried May 1986 - Successfully defended Monsanto Company in lawsuit filed by homeowners involving the Brio Superfund Site, May 1986.
6. Trial of several commercial/business cases including: a. Ralph L. Lowe v. Monsanto Co., et al; Cause Court Harris County, Texas.
Tried March/April 1997- Successfully defended Monsanto Co. in a fraud, legal malpractice and conspiracy lawsuit in which plaintiff was seeking $30 million in damages.
b. Ziontz v. Kunik, Cause No. 85-57839; In the 190th Judicial District Court of Harris County, Texas.
Tried week of July 26, 1993 - Successfully defended and won counterclaim in suit for accounting, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud in a dispute arising out of the dissolution of business partnership.
7. Lead Counsel representing Monsanto/Solutia Inc. in massive litigation involving exposure to Benzene - 1996 to 1998
8. Lead Counsel representing inventor of breast implants in massive litigation involving breast implants - 1994 to 1996.
9. Lead Counsel representing U.S. Gypsum in personal injury asbestos lawsuits - 1984 to