Robert G. Marasco utilizes his experience as a former Assistant United States Attorney to effectively and efficiently defend corporate clients and individuals, in all contexts, who are working through complex internal or government investigations, responding to grand jury and administrative subpoenas, or facing criminal prosecution. In the business context, for example, Mr. Marasco assists clients with matters involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and other anti-bribery provisions; fraud allegations; privacy and security breaches; and the defense of professional licenses.
In the healthcare context, Mr. Marasco advises clients on compliance with health care laws including fraud and abuse laws, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other health care privacy laws. Additionally, Mr. Marasco serves as medical staff counsel for numerous hospitals and health systems, and as litigation counsel on behalf of health systems, hospitals, physician groups, and individual providers in business, fraud and abuse, and administrative matters in both Federal and State court.
Prior to joining Procopio, Mr. Marasco was an Assistant United States Attorney at the U.S. Department of Justice, United States Attorney's Offices in the District of New Jersey and the Southern District of California, where he was lead prosecutor on hundreds of investigations of both individual and corporate targets. As a federal prosecutor, Mr. Marasco prosecuted cases involving, among other offenses, money laundering, mail, wire, and bank fraud, securities fraud, mortgage fraud, identity theft, and income tax evasion.
Recent News Coverage
• Hot Topic: This Week's Big Stories, The Roger Hedgecock Show, January 17, 2014.
• Former Assistant U.S. Attorney Speaks Out, U-T San Diego News, January 14, 2014.
• Former Assistant U.S. Attorney under Chris Christie, The Roger Hedgecock Show, January 14, 2014.
• New Charges for Boston Marathon Bombers, Fox 5, May 2, 2013.
•Frisch, Randy. The Business of Law, San Diego Business Journal, March 25, 2013.
• Smith & Wesson Holstered by the SEC Over FCPA Violations: Lessons Learned, July 30, 2014.
• Encryption - Don't Leave Home (or Work) Without It, July 29, 2014.
•Co-author. Help! I Got a DUI. Will I Lose My Professional License? July 22, 2014.
•Co-author. Are You FCPA Compliant? March 10, 2014.
• Are You Ready for a Government Investigation? November 25, 2013.
•Co-author. Is Your Business HIPAA Compliant? October 1, 2013.
•Government Investigations: Lessons and Preparations Renaissance Executive Forums, San Diego, CA, September 18, 2014.
•Government Agents are Here to Speak with You, ACC-SD/Procopio Health Law Roundtable, San Diego, CA, July 24, 2013.