Mr. Brumfield has more than 28 years of legal experience. During those years, he has represented numerous private businesses and individuals in the areas of general business law, real estate, construction, oil and gas, litigation, trusts and estates, insolvency and bankruptcy. His experience allows him to recognize potential disputes in all areas of representation and can afford you the opportunity to avoid unnecessary and costly litigation. By virtue of that experience, Mr. Brumfield serves as a mediator, handling mediations in all of the areas in which he practices. With civil cases having less courtroom availability due to budgetary constraints, alternative dispute resolution methods are gaining importance and our firm is committed to furthering this out-of-court resolution process.
Mr. Brumfield has practiced law in Bakersfield since 1986. Before starting this firm, he was a principal attorney in a large regional law firm for 5 years. Previously he practiced for three years in his own firm emphasizing in real estate, business law and litigation, construction, property tax and bankruptcy (primarily creditor representation). For the prior 18 years, Mr. Brumfield was a partner and managing partner in a full-service business and civil litigation firm that grew to 20 attorneys.
Following are examples of legal matters Mr. Brumfield handles for his clients:
- For one of his long-term clients, a large publicly traded oil field supply company, he provides business litigation services, representing them in any debt-related matters in California, including oil and gas liens, mechanics liens, defective provision of service claims and bankruptcy and collection matters.
- In a large Chapter 11 bankruptcy case, he represented the litigation trustee in matters designed to achieve recoveries after the confirmation of a Chapter 11 Plan. At the time, the litigation trustee was a new advent in bankruptcy cases, and this particular case was discussed in the American Bankruptcy Journal.
- In a case concerning losses occasioned to a number of participants in a retirement plan, he obtained a judgment denying the plan administrator’s bankruptcy discharge enabling the plan participants to obtain a recovery of some or all of their losses.
- In re Wright, 355 B.R. 192, (Bankr.C.D.Cal. Oct 24, 2006)
- Jans v. Nelson, 100 Cal.Rptr.2d 106, (Cal.App. 5 Dist. Sep 14, 2000)
- In re De la Cruz, 176 B.R. 19, (9th Cir.BAP (Cal.) Dec 22, 1994)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
Mr. Brumfield has been a featured speaker on several occasions for educational programs sponsored by the California State Bar, Kern County Bar Association, Central California Bankruptcy Association and the National Business Institute. His other professional activities and affiliations include:
- Board Member, Kern County Bar Association Charitable Foundation
- Chair, Kern County Bar Association’s Mandatory Fee Arbitration program
- Mediator, Bankruptcy Dispute Resolution Program, United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of California
- Member, Kern County Superior Court Mediation Panel
- Member, California Dispute Resolution Center
- Member, Southern California Mediation Association
- Member, Association of Conflict Resolution
- Member, California State Bar Association
- Member, Kern County Bar Association
- Member, Kern County Bar Association’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Former President and Board Member, Kern County Bar Association
- Former Member, Committee on Mandatory Fee Arbitration, California State Bar
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Martindale-Hubbell BV Rated Attorney
Mr. Brumfield’s community involvement includes:
- Member, North Bakersfield Rotary Club
- Board Member, Bakersfield Homeless Center
- Board Member, Alliance Against Family Violence and Sexual Assault