Rob Crawford is a member and former leader of the Municipal and Regulatory Practice Group at Bernstein Shur. Rob is recognized by Best Lawyers in America for his municipal work. He is also the Maine Representative of the National Association of Property Tax Attorneys.
Rob counsels municipalities, individuals and businesses in general municipal law, land use and permitting, property taxation, property tax assessment and appeals, tax collection, tax lien procedures and related matters in bankruptcy proceedings.
Rob assists the firm's private energy clients with property tax and valuation issues related to economics, operations and development of thermal, hydro and wind electrical generation facilities.
Rob has logged well over 100 trial days before the Maine State Board of Property Tax Review in administrative hearings concerning the valuation of complex industrial or commercial properties. Among the cases he has litigated are Bath Iron Works v. Bath, Champion International v. Bucksport, Central Maine Power Company v. Yarmouth, Great Cove Boat Club v. Eliot, Northeast Empire #2 LP v. Ashland, Maine Medical Center v. Falmouth, Great Northern Paper Company v. East Millinocket, Sprague Energy Company v. Bucksport, and Cushing Holdings, LLC et al. v. Cushing, Brookfield Power v. E. Millinocket, Black Point Inn v. Scarborough.
Rob successfully argued the following cases before the Maine Law Court: Ring v. Town of Freeport, Yusem v. Town of Raymond, Northeast Empire #2 LP v. Ashland, and Sawyer v. Cape Elizabeth.
Rob counsels businesses, individuals and municipalities on current use property tax programs, property tax exemptions, tax reimbursement and tax increment financing and economic development programs.
Rob uses his experience in appraisal and property valuation as counsel to private clients, municipalities and special districts in eminent domain proceedings.
Rob assists private clients, municipal and quasi-municipal entities in drafting and securing legislation. Before deciding to attend law school, Rob owned and operated a wooden boat repair shop. He also worked as a consultant biologist, fly fishing instructor and environmental educator in Yosemite National Park. His other interests include restoring barns, cars and boats, competitive cycling, fly fishing and backcountry skiing.
• April 8, 2014 Mainebiz Real Estate Insider: Establishing A Property's Tax Valuation - Earlier is Better
• September 1, 2010 Does Reorganization Need Reform?
• March 21, 2014 Bernstein Shur Expands its Property Tax and Valuation Team
• August 15, 2013 Nine Bernstein Shur Attorneys Earn Best Lawyers' 2014 Lawyer of the Year Distinction
• October 3, 2012 Six Shareholders Named as a Lawyer of the Year
• August 23, 2012 56 Bernstein Shur Attorneys Earn Listing in Best Lawyers in America 2013
• September 12, 2011 53 Bernstein Shur Attorneys Named in Best Lawyers in America 2012 Listing
• August 12, 2010 52 Bernstein Shur Lawyers Named in Best Lawyers in America 2011 Listing
• December 15, 2008 Twenty-Seven Bernstein Shur Attorneys Listed in New England Super Lawyers
• September 19, 2008 41 Bernstein Shur Attorneys Selected by Peers as 2009 Best Lawyers in America