Robert Ivanhoe is Co-Chairman of the New York office, Chair of the 200+ lawyer Global Real Estate Practice and Co-Chair of the REITs group at Greenberg Traurig. He concentrates his practice in sophisticated real estate structures, financings, workouts, restructurings, acquisitions and dispositions of all asset classes of real estate. Robert is actively involved in real estate industry current affairs and regularly asked to write and lecture on industry topics.
Robert has been recognized by Chambers and Partners USA, The New York Observer and Real Estate New York as one of the leading real estate attorneys in New York City and throughout the United States. He has represented numerous nationally-recognized owner/developer and institutional lender/investor clients domestically and internationally for more than 30 years. Robert is a member of the firm's Executive Committee, Board of Directors and Operating Committee.
Areas of Concentration
· Acquisitions and dispositions
· Partnerships and joint ventures
· Financing transactions
· Real estate workouts and restructurings
· Commercial, ground and net leasing
· Reconstruction and redevelopment
· Construction, mezzanine, bridge and term loans
· Mortgage loan sales and purchases
· Preferred equity investments
· Publicly owned real estate companies
· Business law
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, The Real Estate Roundtable, Real Estate Capital Policy Advisory Committee, Liquidity Working Group
· Editorial Board Member, Bloomberg BNA, Real Estate Law & Industry Report
· Member, American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL)
· Executive Committee, American Friends of Rabin Medical Center
· Executive Committee, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
· Executive Committee, Real Estate Division of Israel Bonds
· Member, Urban Land Institute
· Member, Advisory Board of The Stoler Report @ Building New York
· Honored, National Jewish Health Humanitarian Award, 2012
· Recipient, Israel Peace Medal, State of Israel Bonds Real Estate Division, 2011
· Honored, The Andrew Glover Youth Project, 2010
· Honored by the Real Estate and Construction Council Gala hosted by the Lincoln Center Corporate Fund, 2010
· Honored, Circle of Stars, The Starlight Children's Foundation, 2009
· Honored, American Friends of the Rabin Medical Center, 2008
· Honored, Hebrew Academy of Special Children, 2006
· Honored, Real Estate New Leadership Cabinet of State of Israel Bonds, 2001
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2006-2014
- "Lawyer of the Year," Real Estate Law, New York City, 2014
· Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Real Estate, 2010 and 2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2003-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, New York Super Lawyers, 2006-2013
- "Top 10 Lawyers in New York," 2010-2013
- "Top 100 Lawyers in New York," 2006-2013
· Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011 and 2012
· Listed, AVENUE magazine "Legal Elite," Real Estate Law, April 2011
· Listed, Who's Who Legal - "The International Who's Who of Real Estate Lawyers," 2010-2011
· Listed, The New York Observer "100 Most Powerful People in New York Real Estate," 2008-2013
· Listed, The Legal 500 United States, 2007-2013
· "Real Estate and Construction - Real Estate - Leading Lawyers," 2012-2013
· Listed, The New York Observer "The Lawyers You Call 2010 Slideshow," August 9, 2010
· Recommended, PLC Which Lawyer?, 2009 Yearbook
· Recognized, New York Post "Top Four Commercial Real Estate Lawyers in New York City," 2008
· Selected, "Lawyers Forum," Real Estate New York, July/August 2008
· Listed, Real Estate Weekly "2008 All Stars," July 23, 2008
· Listed, Who's Who Legal - "The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers," January 2006
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented Dividend Capital Total Realty Trust in its acquisition of a 32-property portfolio from iStar Financial, Inc. in a transaction valued at approximately $1.3 billion.
· Representation as general co-counsel and special bond counsel to the Larry Silverstein organization in connection with construction financing in excess of $700 million in the aggregate consisting of both conventional and HFA 80/20 bond financing facilities for River Place II in Manhattan. The financing is reputed to be the largest single residential construction loan ever closed in the United States.
· Representation of the El Ad Group in its joint venture with IDB, an Israeli public company, and in the acquisition and financing of the former Frontier hotel in Las Vegas for $1.25 billion, the highest priced land acquisition in Las Vegas history where El Ad plans to develop a mixed-use $7 billion hotel, resort, casino and residences project on The Strip.
· Representation of The Related Companies in connection with its $1 billion acquisition of the Snowmass Ski Resort. The transaction involved the very complex and challenging acquisition, joint venture, financing and ongoing operation and management of the assemblage of various properties, ski facilities, condominiums and fractional ownership interests of the Resort.
· Represented MetLife, Inc. in the sale of Peter Cooper Village and Stuyvesant Town to Tishman Speyer, in a joint venture with BlackRock Realty, the real estate arm of BlackRock, Inc., for $5.4 billion. The transaction is considered the biggest American real estate deal in history.
· Represented El-Ad Properties in connection with the acquisition of The Plaza Hotel, New York City for $675 million from Plaza Operating Partners, a partnership of Millennium & Copthorne Hotels plc and Kingdom Investments; and the negotiation of acquisition and redevelopment loans in excess of $900 million from HSBC, Credit Suisse and Hypo Real Estate. We subsequently represented El-Ad and the El-Ad/Kingdom partnership in the refinancing of existing mortgage and mezzanine debt in an aggregate amount in excess of $1.2 billion.
· Represented commercial REIT Mack-Cali Realty Corporation in a joint venture to acquire a 7-property portfolio comprised of approximately 667,000 sq. ft. for $53.6 million. The acquired portfolio is located in the Greater Boston area.
· Represented The Gale Company and SL Green Realty Corp. in a $545 million real estate transaction involving the sale of ownership interests in a 20 property office portfolio located in New Jersey; and a related transaction involving the sale of The Gale Services Co., LLC and Gale Construction Services, LLC to Mack-Cali Realty LP and affiliates.
· Represented Equity One, Inc., in a joint venture with Investcorp, in the more than $388 million acquisition of 29 properties throughout Texas, covering approximately 2.9 million sq. ft. of retail space.
· Greenberg Traurig represented Credit Suisse First Boston, Inc. in connection with SL Green Realty Corporation's acquisition of One Madison Avenue from Metropolitan Life Insurance Company for $918 million.
· Represented two bulge bracket investment banks in a highly-structured $756 million loan made to finance the acquisition, renovation and condominium conversion of the Manhattan House on the Upper East Side of New York City. The transaction was part of an $840 million joint venture equity and condominium conversion financing package.
· Represented SL Green Realty Corp. in its agreement to acquire two office buildings, comprising 1.7 million square feet, located at 750 Third Avenue and 485 Lexington Avenue for $480 million, or $282 per square foot, including reverse 1031 exchange and two levels of joint venture for ownership of the project.
· Represented The Gale Company in connection with the acquisition, joint venture and financing of a 38-building, 4.7-million square foot office portfolio. The Gale Company bought out the interests of Morgan Stanley Real Estate Funds and UBS in the properties. SL Green provided preferred equity and mezzanine financing and Wachovia provided mortgage financing for a total capitalization in excess of $600 million.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Quoted, "Greenberg, Skaden Grab Roles on $1.1 Billion Sony HQ Sale," AM Law Daily, January 31, 2013
· Author, "2012 US Real Estate Debt and Equity Markets: Is This Déjà Vu?" Euromoney's Real Estate Finance & Investment Review, 2012-2013 edition
· Author, "The Evolution of the US Debt and Equity Markets and What Lies Ahead" Euromoney'sReal Estate Finance & Investment Review, 2011-2012 edition
· Featured, "A Verdict on the Recovery," New York Observer, August 2011
· Author, "Has the Market Hit Bottom and When Will the Capital Markets and Real Estate Market Recover?" Real Estate Finance, February 2010
· Author, "Has the Market Hit Bottom and When Will the Capital Markets and Real Estate Market Recover?" Euromoney's International Real Estate Finance Review, 2009-2010 edition
· Author, "2008 US Real Property Market Developments: What Caused the Turbulence?" Euromoney's International Real Estate Finance Review, 2008-2009 edition
· Quoted, "The New Shift in Real Estate: Unmaking Deals," 2009 Law360 Litigation Almanac
· Author, "The Year 2007 - US Real Property Market Developments: What a Difference a Year Makes!" Euromoney's International Real Estate Finance Review, 2007-2008 edition
· Author, "Recent Developments and Trends in the US Property Markets: Can the Feeding Frenzy Continue?" Euromoney's International Real Estate Finance Review, 2006-2007 edition
· Cited, "MetLife Sells Complex For Record $5.4 billion," New York Law Journal, Real Estate Update, Marketplace, October 25, 2006
· Author, "Trends in Real Estate Deal Structure," Counsel to Counsel, a bimonthly supplement toInsideCounsel presented by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, May 2006
· Author, "Real Estate Overview and Trends," Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, 2006
· Editorial Board Member, Bloomberg BNA Real Estate Law & Industry Report
· Author, "A Real Estate Lawyer's Role In A White-Hot Real Estate Market," Inside the Minds: Winning Legal Strategies for Real Estate: Leading Lawyers on Securing Financing, Structuring Contracts, and Ensuring Successful Transactions, 2005
· Speaker, "Joint Ventures in a Distress Environment," New York State Bar Association, Department of Continuing Legal Education, Advanced Real Estate Practice, December 2009
· Speaker, The Art of Selling and Buying Distressed Commercial Real Estate," Practising Law Institute's One-Hour Briefing, January 2009
· Speaker, "Negotiating the Key Business Issues in the Operating Agreement," Real Estate Joint Ventures conference panel, Law Seminars International, November 2008
· Faculty, Practising Law Institute