Bob was the Chair and Manager of the firm's Employment, Labor & Benefits Practice for many years before stepping down to resume full-time practice in 2006. He retired in 2014 and continues his affiliation as Member Emeritus.
During his practice, Bob counseled employers on all facets of employment law, including hiring, disciplinary, and termination issues; employment policies, handbooks, disability, and leave issues; and also negotiated executive employment agreements on behalf of both employers and senior executives. He served as the firm's advisor for selecting EPLI insurance.
Bob frequently represented employers in employment litigation and planning and implementing reductions in force, severance arrangements, wrongful termination and discrimination suits, union organizing campaigns, arbitrations, and litigation arising from employment disputes. Bob also has considerable experience representing clients in the for-profit, not-for-profit, and educational fields with respect to crises and claims generated by employee misconduct.
He worked closely with colleagues at ML Strategies on client matters that involve government relations, media relations, and crisis communications. He represented businesses of all sizes, including small entrepreneurs and Fortune 500 companies as well as secondary schools and charitable organizations.
Bob taught seminars for attorneys and human relations personnel and lectured on employment law to business groups.
Bob also was an avid rugby player for many years in school and during his career.
Prior to joining Mintz Levin in 1973, Bob was a law clerk in the US District Court for the Western District of Washington.
Recognitions & Awards
•Best Lawyers in America:Employment Law - Individuals (2013 - 2014)
•Chambers USA: Massachusetts - Labor and Employment (2005 - 2014)
•Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Employment & Labor (2004 - 2013)
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
•Co-author, Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Affirms Lower Court Ruling in Favor of Employees Misclassified as Franchisees/Independent Contractors, Franchise Alert (09.13.2011)
• Fifty-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2014 Guide, (05.23.2014)
• Seventy-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2013 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.21.2013)
• Sixty-Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2014 Edition, (08.15.2013)
• Forty-Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2013 Guide, (05.24.2013)
• Seventy-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2012 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.22.2012)
• Sixty Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2013 Edition, (08.24.2012)
• Forty-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2012 Guide, (06.07.2012)
• Fifty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.21.2011)
• Thirty Four Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2011 Guide, (03.21.2011)
• Forty-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.19.2010)
• Mintz Levin Adds Six Attorneys to Chambers USA 2010 Guide, (03.23.2010)
• Forty-Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.27.2009)
• Chambers USA Names 22 Mintz Levin Attorneys Leaders in Their Fields for 2009, (06.12.2009)
• Forty-Six Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.29.2008)
• Chambers USA Names 20 Mintz Levin Attorneys Leaders in their Fields for 2008, (06.18.2008)
• Forty-Five Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.25.2007)
• Chambers USA Names 19 Mintz Levin Attorneys Leaders in Their Fields for 2007, (06.15.2007)