Robert M. Goldich has more than 30 years of experience as a labor and employment lawyer and litigator representing employers in all aspects of labor and employee relations, including general employment counseling, employment contract negotiation, collective bargaining negotiations, labor arbitration, and the representation of employers in administrative and courtroom litigation. As the practice of labor and employment law has evolved into one requiring courtroom litigation skills, Robert's practice has become concentrated in the areas of complex employment and ERISA litigation. He has tried to judgment more than 20 cases around the country, and obtained summary judgment rulings in many others, including equal employment cases under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Equal Pay Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, ERISA, wrongful discharge, whistleblower and employment tort actions, and suits involving the enforcement of restrictive covenants, confidentiality agreements and trade secrets issues. Robert has represented in litigation a number of Fortune 100 companies, several universities and colleges, health care institutions and numerous smaller and entrepreneurial businesses. Robert also has litigated cases involving commercial contracts and other business disputes.
Robert has developed a national practice in the area of ERISA litigation. He has represented the defendants in six different ERISA class actions, involving amounts in dispute in excess of one billion dollars. These class actions have involved a variety of ERISA issues, including fiduciary liability, pension plan design, termination of retiree medical coverage, benefit integration, and pension plan spinoffs in the context of corporate acquisitions. Robert has tried cases and advised unionized clients in connection with withdrawal liability claims under the Multi-Employer Pension Plan Amendment Act.
Areas of Concentration
· Employment litigation
· ERISA litigation
· Labor law
· Restrictive covenant litigation
· Employment counseling
· Employment agreements
· Commercial litigation
Professional & Community Involvement
· Administrative Chair, American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section, Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee
- Founder and Past Management Chairman, ERISA Litigation Subcommittee
- Past Co-Chair, Trial Advocacy Subcommittee
· Member, Meridian Club Duplicate Bridge Team
· Member, New York State Bar Association
· Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
· Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Past Chairman, Bar News Media Committee
· Vice President, Family Services, Montgomery County, PA, Board of Directors
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law - Litigation and Management, 2009-2014
· Listed, The Legal 500 United States, 2013
· Listed, The International Who's Who of Management Labour & Employment Lawyers, 2012-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2004-2013
· Team Member, a Law360 "Employment Practice Group of the Year," 2011
· Elected Fellow, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, 2002
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Acted as defense counsel in the first reported ERISA action tried to verdict in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. Robert won a defense verdict upheld in the Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
· Obtained a trial verdict for a college in an EEOC prosecution of a multi-plaintiff Equal Pay Act action.
· Tried two jury cases in California, both resulting in directed verdicts for the defense. One was an executive compensation dispute. The other was a disability discrimination claim under California's Fair Employment and Housing Act.
· Won an FLSA collective action for a large distributor of petroleum products against a union representing a class of drivers.
· Prevailed in the trial of a whistleblower action brought by an employee claiming that he was discharged due to complaints by the FDA about unsafe medical products.
Some of the above representations were handled by Mr. Goldich prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Co-Author, Chapter on "Civil Enforcement of ERISA," ERISA: A Comprehensive Guide, Aspen Publishers
· Author, Chapter on "Defamation in the Work Place," Employment Termination Rights and Remedies, BNA Supp., 2003
Robert has made presentations and demonstrated trial advocacy techniques on ERISA and employment litigation at numerous mid-winter and annual meetings of the Labor Law Section of the American Bar Association.
· Faculty Member, Annual Employment Law Institute, Pennsylvania Bar Institute