Robert Black is a partner in the Toronto office of Davis LLP. Robert practises corporate law, with an emphasis on commercial transactions, corporate finance, private equity and hedge funds, mining and resource company transactions, corporate governance and mergers and acquisitions.
Robert is a former member of the Securities Advisory Committee to the Ontario Securities Commission, which is the senior advisory committee to the Chair and staff of the OSC, and is composed of senior partners of various Toronto law firms.
Robert has acted for numerous corporations and their boards of directors with respect to commercial transactions, public and private financings, mining and resource transactions, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions and general corporate law matters.
He also advises Canadian and U.S. investment dealers and hedge funds with respect to securities offerings, regulatory compliance, registration and trading issues. He represents pension funds, crown corporations and other institutions on investments, financings and regulatory matters and also acts for Canadian and U.S. fund management and investment counselling companies on business and registration issues, new products and regulatory matters.
Prior to joining Davis as a partner in 2009, Robert was a partner at another prominent national law firm, where he practised for 15 years. Earlier in his legal career, Robert was Senior Counsel and Vice-President with Merrill Lynch Canada and Manager, Listings at The Toronto Stock Exchange. He also worked as a Corporate Finance and International Markets lawyer at the Ontario Securities Commission.
Robert is a graduate of the University of Western Ontario (B.A. and LL.B.) and the London School of Economics and Political Science (LL.M.).
• Acted for Xstrata Nickel and Koniambo Nickel on various project and commercial agreements for the $5 billion Koniambo Project nickel mine, smelter and related infrastructure in New Caledonia.
• Acted for the underwriters, led by Stephens Inc., on two U.S./Canada cross-border offerings of common shares by Regional Management Corp.
• Acted for the issuer on the underwritten offering of $550 million of senior bonds for financing the Northeast Anthony Henday Drive ring road PPP infrastructure project in Edmonton, Alberta.
• Acted for the underwriters on the U.S./Canada MJDS cross-border offering of common shares by Coastal Contacts Inc.
• Acted for Spektra Jeotek and Spektra Drilling Canada Inc. on the acquisition of Forage Mercier Inc., a mining drilling company in Quebec.
• Acted for the issuer on the underwritten offering of $190 million of senior bonds for financing of the new Ontario Forensic Services and Coroner's Complex PPP infrastructure project in Toronto.
• Acted as part of the Davis team for Canacol Energy Ltd. on short form prospectus offerings of $100 million total value of common shares and convertible debentures.
• Acted for Copperweld Corporation on its sale to Atlas Tube Inc. and Dofasco Inc.
• Acted on the take-over bid defense team for Clarington Corporation and its subsequent sale to Industrial Alliance.
• Acted for Public Sector Pension (PSP) Investment Board on private equity co-investment.
• Acted for Mackenzie Investment Management Inc. on its sale to Waddell & Reed Financial, Inc.
• Acted for Brick Brewing Co. Limited on numerous acquisitions, financings and business initiatives.
• Acted for Williams plc and its Canadian subsidiaries on the divestiture of various Canadian assets and the demerger of Williams plc into the separate companies Kidde plc and Chubb plc.
• Acted for Jascan Resources Inc. on its sale by way of plan of arrangement to Breakwater Resources Ltd.
• Acted for Falconbridge Limited on its investments in Baltic Resources Inc. and MCK Mining Corp.
• Acted for Bank of America Canada on offering of units linked to offshore investment company advised by Chesapeake Capital Corporation.
• Acted for BICC Phillips Inc. on its going private transaction.Acted for the special committee of the board of directors of Kerr Addison Mines Ltd. on the buyout by Noranda Inc.
• Acted for Minacs Worldwide Inc. on its initial public offering and listing on The Toronto Stock Exchange.
• Ranked as a leading lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell
• Special Lecturer, Multijurisdictional Disclosure System for cross-border securities offerings - Faculty of Law, University of Western Ontario
• Counsel, Corporate Governance Committee, Pension Investment Association of Canada
• Past member, Securities Law Subcommittee, Canadian Bar Association - Ontario
• Director, Moorelands Community Services, a charity that provides after-school programs and trips to summer camp for Toronto inner-city children
• Director and past Chairman, The London Goodenough Association of Canada, a charitable foundation that provides scholarships for Canadian graduate students to study in England.