Rocco D'Angelo practises in most areas of real property law and associated areas of general commercial law, including development, leasing, acquisition and divestiture, financing and mortgage enforcement. He has represented owners and developers of commercial real estate projects as well as institutional lenders in the financing of shopping centres, hotels and office complexes.
He also acts for both public and private entities in the infrastructure and public-private projects sector.
Rocco is the Regional Leader (Ottawa) of the Commercial Real Estate Practice Group at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP. He is conversant in Italian and speaks some French.
· Advises various lender clients extensively in various types of real estate finance transactions. As an example, he advised a major financial institution in the $185-million financing of a regional shopping centre.
· Advises various lender clients respecting strategic approaches to problematic loans, including restructuring, realizations and additional security negotiations.
· Advises various developers and owners respecting the acquisition and divestiture of real estate assets.
· Advises various developers and owners respecting ground lease transactions as well as specific lease negotiation on behalf of landlords and tenants.
· Is acting or has acted for a large municipality on several public-private transactions including:
- Light Rail Project. He is overseeing the real estate component of the project including dealing with various other levels of government.
- The redevelopment of a large municipal facility by partnering with the private sector; the completed project will be a multi-use development with residential, retail, office and public uses including a new outdoor stadium.
- Negotiating a long-term agreement with a private sector entity for the operation of a municipal solid waste to energy conversion facility.
- Negotiating a long-term agreement with a private sector entity for a pay and display parking operating system.
Rankings & Recognitions
· Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2014 edition (since 2010) of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Real Estate Law).
· Martindale-Hubbell® BV® Distinguished™4.4 out of 5 Peer Review Rated.
· Member, Canadian Bar Association
· Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
· Member, County of Carleton Law Association
· Member, County of Carleton Law Association, Real Estate Committee
· Member, Kiwanis Club of Ottawa
· Former Trustee, Kiwanis Medical Foundation