Mr. Klein is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm's Washington, D.C. office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Klein has over 35 years of experience involving multinational corporate and commercial transactions. He has served as lead counsel in corporate acquisitions totaling over a billion dollars, including acquisitions of several large defense contractors, a large luxury hotel, major sports facilities, luxury cruise ships and numerous publications.
Mr. Klein has acted as counsel to US and European corporations, providing representation with respect to a wide range of commercial matters, including debt and equity financing, teaming arrangements, employment contracts, distribution arrangements and real estate transactions. In addition, he has counseled corporations with respect to internal investigations, including option-granting practices and corporate governance-related issues.
In addition, Mr. Klein served on the Board on Professional Responsibility of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals from 2002 to 2006, and was appointed by the Court of Appeals as the Vice Chair for the 2005-2006 term. He has lectured in conjunction with the DC Bar Continuing Education Program, and served on the adjunct faculty of the Columbus School of Law at Catholic University.
· Bank consortium debt financing. Represented a cruise line in arranging over $300 million in debt financing from an international consortium of banks.
· Commercial office lease negotiation. Represented a commercial building owner in the negotiation of a 250,000 square foot office lease.
· Defense contractor stock sale. Represented the shareholders of a defense contractor in a $20 million sale of all of its stock to another defense contractor.
· Major hotel acquisition. Represented the purchaser in a $100 million purchase of a nationally known hotel by a major hotel chain.
· Major sports facility acquisition. Represented a publicly traded sports facility operator in the acquisition of three major new facilities. The purchase price in each of these transactions exceeded $100 million.
· Manufacturer-contractor merger. Represented a software manufacturer in a merger with a wholly-owned subsidiary of a national defense contractor.
· Oil refinery refinancing. Represented an oil refining company in a $350 million refinancing of an offshore oil refinery.
· Share exchange representation. Represented shareholders of a speciality healthcare company in a $25 million share exchange with a NASDAQ-listed company.
· Executive Employment Agreement. Represented the CEO of a NYSE company in negotiation of his executive employment agreement.
· Corporate FCPA Compliance. Represented the court appointed monitor of a multinational corporation in supervising implementing of a FCPA compliance program.
· Martindale-Hubbell Business and Commercial Washington, D.C. Top Rated Lawyer, 2012
· Legal Elite, SmartCEO Magazine, 2011
· Member, American Bar Association
· Former Director and First Vice President, Frederick Abramson Memorial Foundation
· General Counsel, Special Operations Warrior Foundation
· Political Expenditures. Tax Management Portfolios. 231. 2nd ed., Bureau of National Affairs, Washington, DC (1985).