Ron Oliner practices in the area of business reorganization and financial restructuring . He represents financial institutions, including loan servicers, mortgage lenders and asset based lenders, as well as bankruptcy trustees, creditors' committees, and rents and equity receivers.
Mr. Oliner has served as a chapter 11 trustee in the Northern District of California Bankruptcy Court, and is a court-appointed mediator and examiner. He has testified in jury trials as a qualified expert witness on bankruptcy and commercial remedies, and is versed in all creditors' remedies in both state and federal courts. He has also defended appeals in bankruptcy appellate courts, district courts, and before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
In recent years, Mr. Oliner served as counsel to creditors' committees in Health Plan of the Redwoods, one of the largest chapter 11s ever filed in Santa Rosa; Swift Instruments, Inc. in San Jose; SonicBLUE, Inc. in San Jose and Cedar Funding, Inc. in San Jose. He has represented trustees in several very large cases, including Cyberhome Entertainment, Inc. and 3DFX Interactive, Inc. in the Northern District of California. Mr. Oliner is currently representing the Vallejo Police Officers Association in the City of Vallejo chapter 9 bankruptcy case, pending in Sacramento, as well as the San Bernardino Police Officers Association in the City of San Bernardino's chapter 9 case, pending in Riverside.
In addition to his bankruptcy practice, Mr. Oliner has extensive experience in receivership, foreclosure and workouts. He has represented lenders in over one hundred receivership cases in state courts throughout California and in other jurisdictions. Mr. Oliner also represents court-appointed receivers in numerous cases in Northern California.
Mr. Oliner was the 2009 president of the California Receivers Forum. He was elected chair of the Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section of the San Francisco Bar Association in 2005; served on the Northern District of California's Bench-Bar Liaison in 2003-2005; and served as president of the California Receivers Forum, Bay Area Chapter, in 2001-2002.
Mr. Oliner has written and spoken on a variety of topics in the bankruptcy and receivership fields. He has been designated as a Northern California Super Lawyer in the bankruptcy field in 2005 through 2012; is listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the specialty of bankruptcy and creditor-debtor rights law; and has been repeatedly recognized as one of the most active bankruptcy lawyers in the country by The Deal.
Mr. Oliner is a 1990 graduate of the University of Oregon School of Law with a certificate in business law. While in law school, he served as Articles Editor for the Journal of Environmental Law and Litigation.
• Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2006-present
• Buchalter Nemer, PC
- Partner, 1999-2006
Honors & Awards
• Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Recognized Practitioner 2014
• Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2005-2015
• Listed in Northern California Super Lawyers, 2005-2014
• Listed in Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, 2010, 2011 and 2014
• AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
• Handling Municipal Bankruptcies on Public Works Projects, Construction Executive, May 6, 2014
• Recent Developments In Business Bankruptcy Law, The Receivership News, Spring 2014 Edition
• District Court Clarifies Distinction Between Burdens of Proof on Stay Relief and Adequate Protection in American Airlines Bankruptcy , Duane Morris Alert, May 3, 2013; republished in Bankruptcy Law360 and New York Law360, May 13, 2013
Selected Speaking Engagements
• Panelist, A Tale of Two Cities, National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, Chicago, October 9, 2014
• Speaker, Hang Nine: The Next Wave of Municipal Bankruptcies and Why You Should Care, California Bankruptcy Forum, Santa Barbara, May 16, 2014
• Speaker, Keeping the Receiver in Place During Bankruptcy, California Receivers' Forum, San Francisco, April 24, 2014
• Speaker, Pensions and Retiree Healthcare In the Bankruptcy Cross Hairs, Saint Mary's College, Moraga, California, January 30, 2014
• Panelist, Chapter 9: The Big Debates in This Brave New World, ABA State and Local Government Law 2013 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California, August 10, 2013
• Speaker, Municipal Restructuring, Turnaround Management Association, San Francisco, June 13, 2013
• Speaker, Recent Legal Developments Affecting Workouts and OREO Sales: Rethinking Strategies in Light of New Case Law, TEAM-A Program, June 4, 2013
• Moderator, Receivership Updates, Trigild Spring Lender Conference, Dallas, Texas, April 24, 2013
• Speaker, PORAC Leadership Training Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada, April 13, 2013
• Speaker, Ask the Experts, California Receivers Forum, Loyola Symposium, January 19, 2013
• Panelist, Recent Developments in Business Bankruptcy, Bar Association of San Francisco, November 7, 2012
• Panelist, Recent Developments in Business Bankruptcy, Bay Area Bankruptcy Forum, San Jose, California, October 30, 2012
• Speaker, Receivership & Bankruptcy Updates, Trigild Fall Lender Conference, San Diego, October 18, 2012
• Speaker, Business Bankruptcy: Strategies, Alternatives and Limitations, California Bankruptcy Forum, May 18, 2012
• Speaker, Talking Chapter 9- Municipal Bankruptcy Cases, San Francisco, February 14, 2012
• Speaker, Recent Developments in Business Bankruptcy, Bay Area Bankruptcy Forum Program, San Jose, California, November 22, 2010
• Panelist, Receiverships Meet Bankruptcy, California Bankruptcy Forum's 22nd Annual Insolvency Conference, Monterey, California, May 22, 2010
• Speaker, Interaction of Real Property Law and Bankruptcy in Litigation, 82nd Annual Meeting of the State Bar of California, San Diego, September 12, 2009
• Panelist, Recent Developments in Business Bankruptcy, San Francisco, 2007, 2008, 2009
• Speaker, Bankruptcy 101, Private Client Seminar, September 2008
• Panelist, Recent Developments in Business Bankruptcy, San Francisco, November 7, 2007
• Speaker, BAPCPA Meets Chapter 11: Extreme Makeover? Bay Area Bankruptcy Forum event, San Francisco, January 23, 2007
• Mr. Oliner frequently lectures on bankruptcy- and receivership-related topics.