Ross Freeman is a partner in our Tax Group in our Calgary office. Ross practises exclusively in the area of tax, with a particular emphasis on corporate mergers & acquisitions, and international and resource tax. He has designed numerous innovative tax plans resulting in significant tax savings for a variety of clients. Ross also handles tax disputes with revenue authorities and acts as a director or trustee of several large private wealth corporations or trusts. His experience includes virtually all areas of taxation work.
· Providing tax advice on the structuring of corporate/commercial transactions including acquisitions, divestitures, mergers, financings and reorganizations ranging from junior public and private companies to multi-national oil & gas, manufacturing, technology and service companies.
· Drafting tax commentary for public and private disclosure documents, including prospectuses; also offering memoranda and circulars for businesses in real estate, film, oil & gas, recreational development, technology, manufacturing and numerous other industries.
· International tax planning involving countries throughout the world, including the United States, Europe, China, Japan, the Caribbean, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia and South America.
· Resource industry tax planning involving such matters as flow-through shares, resource-pool transfers, and yield investments.
Publications & Presentations
Has delivered papers at numerous conferences and seminars, including for the Prairie Province Tax Conference, Canadian Petroleum Tax Society Conference, Legal Education Society of Alberta, University of Calgary Faculty of Continuing Education, Calgary Chamber of Commerce, Canadian Gas Association, Senior Resource Tax Practitioners' Institute, Canadian Tax Journal, and the Global Petroleum Show.
Rankings & Recognitions
· Recognized in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Tax Law).
· Martindale-Hubbell® BV® Distinguished™ 4.4 out of 5 Peer Review Rated.
· Martindale-Hubbell® 5 out of 5 Client Review Rated.
· Member, Advisory Committee (on the implementation of the GST) to National Revenue Minister Otto Jelinek
· Board Member, Small Explorers and Producers Association of Canada (SEPAC)
· Chair, SEPAC Finance Committee
· Board Member and Chair, Bethany Care Society Foundation of Calgary
· Committee Member, Calgary United Way Major Donors Program Committee