Russell L. Reid, Jr. is the Managing Partner of the London Office and is a partner in the Finance and Bankruptcy Practice Group.
Areas of Practice
Russell Reid's practice focuses on domestic and cross-border corporate finance and restructuring, with particular emphasis on the representation of banks and other financial institutions as well as default administration work for trustees and servicers of securitized mortgage trusts. He has a wealth of experience in drafting and negotiating commercial agreements, with heavy exposure across a myriad of industries to a number of related disciplines, including asset acquisition and disposition, corporate governance, intellectual property and licensing, labor and employment, state and federal regulatory schemes and tax.
On behalf of debtors, creditors, committees, indenture trustees, collateral agents, and servicers, Mr. Reid has developed and negotiated disclosure materials and plans of reorganization and has prosecuted and defended litigation involving the automatic stay, cash collateral, debtor-in-possession financing, plan confirmation and claim disposition. His experience encompasses the interpretation and enforcement of cash and synthetic collateral debt obligations, and the representation of the varied transaction parties in the mortgage backed securities arena. His expertise also extends to offering documents, prospectus supplements, derivatives instruments including credit default swaps, pooling and servicing agreements, trust indentures, insurance and indemnity agreements, and other related documents, as well as to associated out-of-court restructurings and litigation.
Mr. Reid has handled an array of business disputes before U.S. state and federal trial and appellate courts and regulatory agencies, as well as before foreign tribunals. He has represented brokerage firms, real estate developers, retailers, regulated financial institutions and servicers of both commercial and residential mortgage trusts in a variety of actions, particularly those involving breach of contract and/or fiduciary duty, business torts, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, public finance, and securities.
· Represented family office in negotiating and closing an $850 million bridge loan and subsequent $1.8 billion first and second lien note facilities to fund the purchase of one of the world's largest manufacturers of consumer packaging products.
· Represented an indenture trustee in the largest global financial services firm bankruptcy to date as a member of the official committee of unsecured creditors, the derivatives subcommittee and the private equity subcommittee.
· Represented the member of a bank group defending fraudulent transfer/preference allegations in litigation brought by the general unsecured creditors trust in the bankruptcy of one of the oldest diamond and jewelry companies in the world.
· Represented a major aviation parts manufacturer in the chapter 11 reorganization of a national carrier as a member of the official committee of unsecured creditors.
· Represented the country's largest chain of convenience retailers in restructuring $1.85 billion in indebtedness as a debtor in a prepackaged chapter 11 proceeding.
· Represented the official committee of unsecured creditors in the bankruptcy of one of the world's leading satellite communications companies in litigation over the sale of its North American assets valued at approximately $1 billion.
· Represented a leading utility holding company in a $600 million lawsuit resulting from a failed merger.
· Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer with more than $19.4 billion in annual sales and the second largest English language trade book publisher in the world in the defense of anti-trust claims totaling $400 million and $33 million, respectively.
· Represented a New York investor against two bankrupt corporations and their principals, ultimately resulting in a jury verdict for securities fraud in excess of $230 million.
· Represented a famous children's character in actions nationwide against more than 700 defendants alleging copyright infringement, trademark and trade dress infringement, dilution of trademark, and unfair competition.
· Represented a special servicer of a securitized mortgage trust in a $12 million dispute over the modification of a $40 million loan facility secured by multi-family housing.
· Represented an indenture trustee for municipal securities in chapter 11 cases involving hospitals and multi-family housing.
· Represented a world leading manufacturer of cosmetics in product diversion litigation against rogue distributors.
· Represented a professional sports league in litigation to preserve licensing rights and royalties.
· Named as one of the "Legal Elite Litigation List," Avenue Magazine, 2011
· New York Super Lawyers, Bankruptcy & Debtor/Creditor Rights, 2010-2012
· Rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, New York Bar Association
· Member, State Bar of Texas
· What's New with the Financial Stability Plan?, March 30, 2009
(Also at London, England Office)