- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Life Sciences
|University ||Yale University, B.A., Political Science/Pre-Medicine, 2004|
|Law School||University of Ottawa, J.D., Common Law, 2011|
Ryan Steeves is an associate in the Ottawa office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP. Ryan practises intellectual property litigation, focusing on patent litigation and applications under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations (NOC Regulations). He also assists clients with regulatory matters such as listing patents on the Patent Register and reporting patents to the Patented Medicines Prices Review Board (PMPRB).
Ryan also assists clients in the acquisition and enforcement of intellectual property rights in Canada and around the world. In particular, Ryan assists clients in the resolution of their commercial intellectual property disputes, namely in the areas of trade-marks, copyright, and domain names, as well as with licensing/agreement issues involving intellectual property rights.
Ryan began his career at BLG as a summer student (2011), completed his articles with the Firm (2011-12) and returned as an associate in August 2012.
Publications & Presentations
· Author, "Amendments to the Copyright Act Proclaimed into Force," BLG's Intellectual Property Law Bulletin, November 2012 (with Hafeez Rupani).
· Contributor, Carswell's 2012 Copyright Year in Review and the 2011 Patent Year in Review.
· Contributing Author, case law updates for the Canadian Bar Association's quarterly e-newsletter.
· Collaborated on a white paper entitled "Infringement of Trade-marks by Goods in Transit" for the International Association of the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI).
· Acting as counsel for innovative companies asserting validity and infringement of patents during proceedings brought pursuant to the NOC Regulations.
· Advising clients on patent portfolio issues relating to listing patents on the Patent Register, reporting to the PMPRB, and data protection.
· Preparing, filing and prosecuting trade-mark applications, including registrability opinions.
· Assisting clients in trade-mark opposition and cancellation proceedings.
· Assisting clients in trade-mark disputes, namely infringement, passing off and expungement proceedings.
· Preparing intellectual property guidelines (with respect to the use, protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights).
· Assisting clients in the protection, acquisition and litigation of copyright.
· Resolving ownership/inventorship/authorship disputes.
· Drafting intellectual property licenses, agreements and assignments.
· Member, Canadian Bar Association, Ontario Bar Association and the County of Carleton Law Association
· Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and International Trademark Association
· Cabinet Member, United Way's Community Services Cabinet, 2010-present
· Volunteer Reader, BLG Reads to Kids Program, 2011-present
· Assistant Coach, Varsity Men's Hockey Team, University of Ottawa, 2007-11
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
Appeal Dismissed: Dispute over Ownership, Alleged Copyright Infringement of Software Programs, Scope of a License, and the Revocation of a Certificate of Registration
Adrian J. Howard,Beverley Moore,Chantal Saunders,Ryan Steeves, August 12, 2014
This was an appeal from a judgment of the Federal Court (decision here, summary here) dismissing the action for damages of Elizabeth Posada (“Posada”) and the company incorporated by Posada, Planification-Organisation-Publications Systèmes (POPS) Ltée (“POPS”),...
|Profile Visibility |
|#163 in weekly profile views out of 3,158 lawyers in Ottawa, Ontario|
|#118,525 in weekly profile views out of 1,512,663 total lawyers Overall|