Sallie has over 30 years of experience as a business litigator and has represented clients in litigation matters in a variety of forums, both federal and state. Sallie is a member of the Litigation, Insurance Recovery, and Labor & Employment Practice Groups and served as Chair of the Litigation Practice Group from January 2004 through June of 2010.
Over the years, Sallie's practice has centered on the representation of business in a wide range of disputes including business torts, fraud, trade secret matters, shareholder disputes, securities claims and products liability. She has worked on matters involving several people to several hundred parties and practices at all trial and appellate levels in both state and federal courts. In recent years, Sallie's practice has focused primarily on insurance recovery work on behalf of policyholders, real estate and zoning litigation, will and trust challenges and all facets of employment disputes and litigation.
Sallie is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated through Martindale-Hubbell.
Professional & Civic Activities
· Sallie is a member of the Akron, Cincinnati, Ohio State and Federal Bar Associations. She is also member of the American Bar Association, participating in the Litigation and Tort Trial and Insurance Practice sections.
Articles & Presentations
· "Real-Life Resolution Strategies of Bad Faith Claims," Independence, Ohio (November 2011)
· "D&O Liability Policies - A Potential Asset for Troubled Companies," Insurance Coverage Law Bulletin (November 2008).
· "New Developments in Business Records Retention and Electronic Discovery," Brouse McDowell in association with Donald W. Wochna of Vestige (December, 2006).
· Removal, Civil Litigation in Ohio, Ohio CLE Institute.
· Successful representation of individuals and entities in various engagements, including:
· Policyholders to obtain insurance coverage in connection with a wide variety of matters including liability coverage for sophisticated underlying environmental damage claims, directors and officers liability coverage for officers' negligent dissipation of corporate assets and in connection with securing defense of underlying employment litigation, among other matters.
· Clients in a variety of real estate matters, ranging from disputes between private landowners and variance requests to constitutional challenges of zoning ordinances and related taking claims.
· Summary judgment and resolution for high profile clients in litigation, including attempted class actions involving claims of racial, sexual and age discrimination, harassment, retaliation and handicap discrimination.
· Parties in connection with the enforcement and enforceability of non-competition agreements.
· Clients in shareholder disputes including allegations of breaches of fiduciary duties, usurpation of corporate opportunities and related issues.
· Not for profit and individual clients in will and trust matters, including contests, construction, cy pres and deviation actions.