Practice/Industry Group Overview
Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis LLP's Construction Industry Practice Group has a long history of representing public and private owners, contractors, architects, engineers, construction managers, suppliers, consultants and others involved with the development and construction industry and with government procurement contracts.
Our experience spans all aspects of construction and procurement law, including design, pricing, contract negotiation and drafting, bids and bid protests, project organization and management, scheduling, change order management, governmental compliance and construction administration.
Our construction attorneys counsel clients in an effort to avoid or prevent the development of disputes. When disputes arise, our attorneys are experienced in preparing claims and resolving these disputes through litigation, arbitration, mediation and negotiation. Our attorneys coordinate and lead the array of technical experts and claims consultants often needed during the resolution of a substantial construction dispute. Our state-of-the-art computer systems and sophisticated communications capabilities enable our attorneys to manage the complex, detail-oriented facets of a highly technical construction case.
Public construction projects present unique challenges and problems that our attorneys have resolved successfully for many years. Throughout our offices, our attorneys are experienced in resolving disputes and claims related to federal, state and local government construction and procurement projects.
Our experience in construction and procurement law includes:
- Assisting owners with the preparation and negotiation of architectural and construction contracts for complex development projects.
- Drafting and negotiating settlement agreements and releases.
- Handling the legal auditing and restructuring of clients' "boiler plate" contract forms.
- Representing a health care provider in connection with a $45 million project of extensive renovations and additions to main campus buildings.
- Advising on contract documents and bidding for a $1 billion light rail system contract.
- Representing a bridge contractor in a claim against a state transportation department.
- Representing a mechanical contractor in claims arising from massive renovations and additions to a large public hospital facility.
- Representing a painting contractor in claims arising from the construction of a publicly owned convention and performing arts center.
- Defending a general contractor against claims of defective construction of a large church facility.
- Providing in-house training and risk-management counseling to architectural/interior design firms.
- Representing a city in connection with the construction of extensive parks and recreation facilities.
- Handling numerous claims involving extras, delay and disruption damages and acceleration charges.
- Assisting contractors and subcontractors with the preparation and filing of mechanics’ and materialmens' liens and payment bond claims.
- Representing parties in bid disputes with governmental entities.
The Schnader Construction Industry Practice Group includes a number of attorneys who have been educated as engineers, have attained professional engineering registration, and have had years of hands-on design and construction experience prior to entering the legal profession. Several of our construction attorneys are active in construction industry professional and trade organizations and hold leadership positions in such organizations.
Our construction and government contract attorneys work closely with the Firm’s corporate, tax, employment and labor, environmental, real estate, health law and litigation attorneys to address the interdisciplinary needs of our clients.
Chambers USA has recognized the Construction Industry Practice Group in Schnader’s New York office as among the top practices, saying "This compact but hard-hitting team of five is renowned for its expert handling of high-profile construction litigation cases."