Scott is Co-chair of the firm's Real Estate Section and leads its Corporate Real Estate Practice. His practice focuses on advising US and foreign companies on all aspects of their corporate real estate requirements, with a particular concentration in the representation of technology-based companies.
Scott has over 20 years of experience working with biotechnology, life sciences, and information technology clients on their real estate transactions. With his background in engineering, his grasp of the technical aspects of his clients' business operations and the related infrastructure, operational, and licensing requirements, Scott works with clients and their design and construction teams to ensure that the technical aspects of their R&D, pilot-plant and clean-room improvements, and manufacturing and distribution facilities are consistent throughout their transactional documents. For example, Scott represented an early major developer of Internet colocation facilities in its acquisition and redevelopment of existing buildings throughout the United States as colocation data facilities. Utilizing his technical and legal experience, he worked with the client and its engineering and construction teams to develop standard legal provisions regarding the technical standards for shell infrastructure improvements, which are still in use today. Scott continues to represent owners and developers of data management and storage facilities, both for their own data storage needs and as operators of outsourced colocation facilities.
Scott's experience covers all aspects of commercial real estate transactions, but his primary focus relates to leading the firm's Corporate Real Estate team in the representation of tenants of office and industrial real estate facilities. Throughout his legal career, Scott has worked with corporate and securities lawyers in representing companies from early funding through initial public offerings and in their M&A growth activity. He also works with a network of law firms in various foreign jurisdictions, representing US clients in their acquisition and build-out of office and industrial facilities outside of the US. Using a portfolio-wide approach based on each client's prioritized list of its transactional goals to achieve cost control and consistency of results, Scott and his team have represented US clients in the leasing of more than 3 million square feet of foreign real estate facilities over the past five years.
Since 2008, Scott has worked with a preferred network of local counsel, developed over a five to ten year period, on behalf of several US public companies in their acquisition and build-out of office and industrial facilities in various foreign jurisdictions, including over 3 million square feet of corporate facilities in China, India, Israel, Singapore, Taiwan, and England. By using a portfolio-wide negotiation strategy, with “preferred provisions” vetted with local counsel familiar with each company's prioritized list of transactional goals, his clients obtain a more consistent representation across their facilities portfolio (notwithstanding divergent market customs and legal practices), and their foreign transactions require less time to complete, with better client control over transactional costs.
While in law school, Scott was the editor-in-chief of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. He spent his post-undergraduate naval service as a nuclear-trained submarine officer on USS Louisville.
• Mintz Levin Strengthens Real Estate Practice with Addition of Christopher Stephens in San Diego, ( 09.03.2014 )
• Sixty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2015 Edition, ( 08.18.2014 )
• Eleven Mintz Levin Members Named Southern California Super Lawyers, ( 01.17.2014 )
• Sixty-Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2014 Edition, ( 08.15.2013 )
• Nine Mintz Levin Members Named San Diego Super Lawyers, ( 06.10.2013 )
• Sixty Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2013 Edition, ( 08.24.2012 )
• None Scott Biel: Confidence, Communication Make a Good Leader, San Diego Daily Transcript ( 05.30.2012 )
• Six Mintz Levin Members Named to San Diego Daily Transcript's 2010 Top Attorneys List, ( 08.06.2010 )
• Mintz Levin Expands San Diego Office to Include Real Estate Expertise, ( 02.23.2007 )
Awards & Recognitions
•Best Lawyers in America: Real Estate Law (2013 - 2015)
•San Diego Super Lawyers: Real Estate (2013 - 2014)
• Speaker, Opportunities for Tenants in I-15 Corridor, Jones Lang LaSalle and Mintz Levin, San Diego, CA (03.10.2011)
• Speaker, Opportunities for Tenants in UTC, Jones Lang LaSalle and Mintz Levin, San Diego, CA (09.16.2010)
• Speaker, Opportunities for Tenants in San Diego, Mintz Levin and Jones Lang LaSalle, San Diego, CA (06.15.2010)
• Speaker, Preventive Lawyering: Protecting Your Business from the Credit Problems of Others in Your Business Network, Preventive Lawyering: Protecting Your Business from the Credit Problems of Others in Your Business N, Association of Corporate Counsel San Diego Chapter, San Diego, CA (08.20.2009)
• Panelist, Advanced Lease Analysis, CoreNet Global, Solana Beach, CA (06.10.2009) (Also at San Diego and San Francisco Offices)