Mr. Scott Miller is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
Scott is a skilled trial lawyer who represents clients in litigation and non-litigation intellectual property matters. He has served as first chair in numerous patent, trademark, trade secret and copyright litigations. Scott also has substantial experience in the areas of patent counseling and opinions, due diligence, licensing and buy/sell transactions and patent and trademark prosecution. He has acted as lead IP counsel on hundreds of different transactions for strategic buyers/sellers, private equity and/or venture capital funds. He has also handled substantial corporate merger, acquisition and licensing transactions involving all types of intellectual property rights.
While Scott's patent practice focuses on technology innovations in the areas of telecommunications, digital signal processing, data storage technologies, optical and fiber optic technologies and LED/LCD technologies, he represents numerous consumer product companies in conjunction with patent issues and well-known trademarks in the United States.
A sought after expert in the area of intellectual property law, Scott regularly speaks at industry conferences and has been published in various legal and trade journals. Active in the IP business and legal communities, Scott is vice chair of the Damages and Injunction Committee for the Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO) and is also a member of the International Trademark Association where he currently serves on its Non-Traditional Trademarks Committee. He has served on INTA committees in a number of capacities for more than eight years, and is also a member of the Los Angeles County and American Bar Associations. Scott is a Martindale Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated Attorney and recognized by Best Lawyers in America in Patent Law.
· Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law, 2013
· Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated Attorney
· Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers, 2012-2014
· Religious Liberty Award - ACLU
· Southern California Super Lawyers, 2004, 2011, 2012
· Member, Los Angeles County and American Bar Association
· Member, Non-traditional Trademarks Committee, INTA, 2012-present
· Member, AIPLA Trademark Committee, 2012-present
· Program Committee, FCBA Conference - Federal Circuit Bar Association, 2011
· Vice-Chair, Damages and Injunction Committee - Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO), 2010-present
· Member, Enforcement Committee-Provisional Remedies - International Trademark Association, 2006-2009
· Member, Meetings Committee - International Trademark Association, 1998-2002
· Member, Issues and Policy Committee - International Trademark Association, 1995-1997
· Co-author with C. Bove, "Fighting Intellectual Property Theft in the Internet Age: Why We Need a Statute Like the Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act," Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, April 2011
· Co-author with Michelle Kim, "Avoid Falling Prey to the Pitfalls of the Patent On-Sale Bar," Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, December 2010
· Co-author with Manuel Nelson, "Therasense and the Doctrine of Inequitable Conduct," The Intellectual Property Strategist, November 2010
· "Spam," Los Angeles Daily Journal, November 6, 2000
· "Wireless Application Protocol," Los Angeles Daily Journal, August 21, 2000
· "An Appraisal of the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit," Southern California Review 57 1984: 301