Seth Laver is a partner in the firm's Philadelphia office. Seth's primary practice areas include the defense of professionals and employment litigation. In professional negligence matters, Seth represents attorneys, real estate and insurance professionals, architects, and accountants. Seth counsels professionals in risk-management, day-to-day workplace issues, and other "pre-suit" matters with an eye toward avoiding litigation and minimizing risk. Moreover, Seth represents professionals in litigation before state and federal courts throughout the United States.
In the area of employment and labor law, Seth represents employers in a variety of litigation matters, including sexual harassment, race, national origin, disability and age discrimination cases, wrongful discharge, defamation and other constitutional claims. He counsels employers on recognizing and preventing employment discrimination and other employee-related lawsuits, with an emphasis on the early implementation of proper procedures. He drafts and updates employee handbooks and consults employers regarding compliance with company by-laws and Human Resources protocols. Seth is often engaged to counsel clients regarding enforcement of non-compete agreement, non-solicitation clauses and other covenants affecting post-employment competition.
Seth routinely publishes articles and lectures on those trends impacting the professional liability and employment landscapes. He is the editor of Professional Liability Matters, Goldberg Segalla's blog focusing on the professional liability community.
· AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
· Selected for inclusion as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer Rising Star by Philadelphia Magazine and the Institute of Law & Politics, 2010, 2011, and 2012
· American Bar Association, Professional Liability Committee
· Board Member, Center City Proprietors Association
· Defense Research Institute: Professional Liability Committee (Steering Committee) and Chair of 2013 Professional Liability Seminar
· Pennsylvania Bar Association
· Philadelphia Bar Association
· Pennsylvania State Civil Litigation Section of the Philadelphia Bar Association
· Jewish Family and Children's Service of Greater Philadelphia (Board of Directors)
· Committee for the Jewish Poor, Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia (member)
· Louis D. Brandeis Law Society (member)
· Co-Author, "Fantasy Sports: A Real Game-Changer for Employers," Lehigh Valley Business, November 16, 2012
· Author, "Fortifying the Law Firm: Understanding and Protecting Against Cyber Risk," DRI For the Defense, July 2012
· Author, "Bernie Madoff and Auditor Liability: Emerging Trends and Defenses," DRI's Riding the E&O Line (Newsletter of the Professional Liability Committee), March 15, 2012
· Author, "Social Media-Related Lawsuits Are Rising; Are You Prepared?" Philadelphia Business Journal, January 13, 2012
· Author, "Sputtering Housing Market Makes Fertile Ground for Real Estate Professional Liability Claims," DRI's Riding the E&O Line (Newsletter of the Professional Liability Committee), November 22, 2011
· Author, "Effective Client Reporting: A Lawyer's Best Friend," The Legal Intelligencer, March 31, 2011
· Author, Joint Defense Agreements: A Primer, June 2010
· Author, "When Employees Go Bad," October 2009
· Author, "Dropping the Nickel in a Civil Context," September 2007