Shane Stroud's practice focuses on a wide variety of matters in the areas of employee benefits and executive compensation, including those related to mergers, acquisitions, spin-offs, initial public offerings and other extraordinary corporate events (such as private equity and leveraged buyout transactions). Shane also routinely advises clients on excessive compensation, golden parachute and deferred compensation issues.
Shane also counsels clients with respect to bankruptcy, securities, corporate governance and other laws affecting employee benefits and executive compensation matters. He also advises a wide range of companies with regard to designing and drafting equity based and incentive compensation plans. Shane has extensive experience representing both executives and employers with respect to the negotiation and drafting of executive employment and severance agreements.
He regularly advises clients on the implementation and design of qualified and non-qualified employee benefit plans (including health and welfare plans, 401(k) plans, employee stock ownership plans and supplemental executive retirement plans). Shane also advises clients on a wide variety of ERISA issues, including plan reporting and disclosure, participation, vesting, funding, benefit accrual, fiduciary responsibility, prohibited transactions, plan termination, merger and employer withdrawal liability issues.
Shane received his B.A. in History from the University of New Orleans and his J.D., magna cum laude, from Tulane Law School, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. He served as a clerk to The Honorable Morey L. Sear of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana. He is admitted to practice in New York.
• Cadwalader Advises Acorda Therapeutics on Merger Agreement to Acquire Civitas Therapeutics Sep 24, 2014
• Cadwalader Advises Elan Corporation, plc in US$8.6 billion sale to Perrigo Company plc Dec 18, 2013
• Cadwalader Expands ERISA Practice Mar 04, 2010
• Cadwalader, Covington Handle Pfizer's King Pharmaceuticals Buy Oct 12, 2010
Clients & Friends Memos
• Sun Capital Partners Decision Expands the Risk to Private Equity Funds of Incurring Portfolio Company Pension Liabilities Aug 28, 2013
• Employee Benefits after Windsor Aug 27, 2013
• U.S. Department of Labor Finalizes New Criteria for Which Entities Would Qualify as “Rating Agencies” in Connection with the Underwriter Exemptions Jul 30, 2013
• Treasury and the IRS Propose Regulations on $500,000 Compensation Deduction Limit for Health Insurers May 08, 2013
• IRS Issues New Regulations Defining Publicly Traded Property for Purposes of Determining the Issue Price of Debt Instruments That Are Significantly Modified in a Restructuring or Issued for Property Sep 26, 2012
• IRS Issues Proposed Regulations to Clarify Application of Section 162m Jul 19, 2011
• The Dodd-Frank Act: How It Impacts Specific Institutions, Entities and Transactions Jun 22, 2011
• Joint Agencies' Proposed Rules Governing Incentive-Based Compensation at Covered Financial Institutions Jun 01, 2011
• SEC Finalizes Rules Regarding Shareholder Approval of Executive Compensation and Golden Parachute Arrangements Mar 01, 2011
• SEC Proposes New Rules Regarding Shareholder Approval of Executive Compensation and Golden Parachute Arrangements Nov 29, 2010
• Executive Compensation and Corporate Governance Provisions Under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act Jul 20, 2010
• Legal Series: Say on Pay and Executive Compensation Litigation in 2014 Aug 22, 2014
• Legal Series: M&A Transactions & Underfunded Benefit Plan Issues Explored: A 2014 Update LIVE Webcast Jul 24, 2014
• Tulane Corporate Law Institute Mar 27, 2014
•Acorda Therapeutics, Inc. in its pending acquisition of Civitas Therapeutics, Inc.
•Salix Pharmaceuticals in its pending combination with Cosmo Technologies to form Salix Pharmaceuticals, plc.
•Forbes Media LLC on its pending sale of a majority stake to a group of international investors as part of the Company's global growth strategy.
•Elan Corporation in its $8.6 billion acquisition by Perrigo Company.
•Towers Watson's sale of its Reinsurance Brokerage Business.
•Towers Watson's acquisition of Liazon Corporation.
•Pfizer Inc.'s sale of its Capsugel business to KKR.
•DPL Inc.'s merger with AES Corp.
•Pfizer Inc.'s acquisition of King Pharmaceuticals.
•Towers Watson's acquisition of Extend Health.
•Angiodynamics' acquisition of Navilyst Medical.
•Secured Lenders in the chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings of radio station operator Inner City Media Corporation.
•Vertis in connection with its chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings and sale of substantially all of its assets to Quad/Graphics.
•Icahn Capital in its bid for the assets of Blockbuster, Inc.
• Quorum: March 2014 V2N1 Mar 26, 2014