Shari Heyen has experience in complex bankruptcy, restructuring, insolvency and complex commercial litigation matters. She is a Certified Public Accountant and has represented numerous creditors' committees, debtors, bank groups, acquirers and other significant constituencies in national Chapter 11 cases and workout proceedings, including complex oil, gas and energy cases. Shari has broad experience in the prosecution and defense of fiduciary litigation, foreclosures, real estate, oil and gas, health care, receiverships, turnover and commercial litigation matters. Shari is a faculty member of the Norton Bankruptcy Institute and frequently lectures on bankruptcy litigation techniques and strategies.
Areas of Concentration
- Creditors' rights
- Corporate reorganization
- Business restructuring
- Energy, oil and gas
- Real estate insolvency
- Health care insolvency
- Foreclosures and workouts
Professional & Community Involvement
· Commissioner Judge for City of Houston, Houston Police Officers' Civil Service Commission (appointed by Mayor of Houston), 2008-2013
· Faculty Member, Norton Bankruptcy Institute, 2009-2012
· Board of Directors, Association of Women Attorneys for the Houston Bar Association, 2005-2007
· Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
· Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Bar Association of the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
· Member, Commercial Finance Association
· Member, Federal Bar Association
· Member, Houston Bankruptcy Conference
· Member, Houston Bar Association
· Member, State Bar of Texas
· Member, Turnaround Management Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law; Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2010-2014
- Texas' Best Lawyers, 2010-2013
· Team Member, a U.S. News - Best Lawyers®, "Law Firm of the Year" in Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Texas Super Lawyers, 2004-2013
- Corporate Counsel (Business Edition), "Top Attorneys in Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights," 2009-2012
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Counsel for Ameriquest Mortgage in case of first impression involving the interpretation of the Home Equity Amendment to the Texas Constitution. These decisions are reported at Doody v. Ameriquest Mortgage Co., 49 S.W.3d 342 (Tex 2001); Doody v. Ameriquest Mortgage Co., 242 F.3d 286 (5th Cir. 2001).
· Counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors, Bigler Petrochemical, et al.
· Counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors, Renaissance Hospital Grand Prairie, Inc., et al.
· Counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors, Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center Corporation.
· Counsel for the Official Committee of Administrative Claimants, LTV Steel, Inc.
· Counsel for Chapter 11 debtor, PS America, Inc.
· Counsel for Chapter 11 debtor, Universal Automotive.
· Counsel for Chapter 11 debtor, CSC Steel.
· Counsel for Chapter 11 debtor, Glasstech Holding Co., et al.
· Law Clerk, Honorable Randolf F. Wheless, Jr., Chief Judge for the Southern District of Texas, the Honorable Manuel D. Leal and the Honorable Karen K. Brown
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Shari has written articles on international bankruptcy proceedings and the protection of creditors in insolvency proceedings, and has lectured on various real estate, banking and bankruptcy topics. She frequently lectures on various bankruptcy, litigation and restructuring topics.
· Author, "Contract-Assumption Defense Can Aid Creditors," Texas Lawyer, April 2011
· Author, "Transnational Bankruptcy Proceedings: Making Sure Creditors Worldwide Get An Equitable Recovery," Currents: International Trade Law Journal, Summer 1996
· CLE Speaker, "Hot Topics in Bankruptcy and Claims Litigation," HPA Annual CLE, Galveston, TX, May 3, 2013
· CLE Speaker, "Bankruptcy Litigation," Norton Bankruptcy Institute, February 2012
· CLE Speaker, "Drafting Disclosure Statements and Chapter 11 Plans," Norton Bankruptcy Institute, April 21, 2011
· CLE Speaker, "Liquidating Trusts," Norton Bankruptcy Institute, February 27, 2011
· CLE Speaker, "Drafting Disclosure Statements and Chapter 11 Plans," Norton Bankruptcy Institute, February 26, 2011
· CLE Speaker, "First Day Motions and Orders in Complex Chapter 11 Cases," Norton Bankruptcy Institute Seminar, April 15, 2010
· CLE Speaker, Association of Women lawyers, "Bankruptcy Basics," Houston, TX, March 2004
· CLE Speaker, Association of Probate and Tax lawyers, "The Bankruptcy Practice" Houston, TX, October 2002
· CLE Speaker, Texas Association of Bank Counsel, "A Practitioner's View of Oral Argument Before the Texas Supreme Court," Austin, TX, faculty, October 2001
· In-House CLE Speaker, "Successful Workout for the Failed Dot Com," July 2001
· CLE Speaker, "The Bankruptcy Code and Its Impact on Leases," CLE International, Austin, TX, faculty, January 2001
· CLE Speaker, "The Implications of the Proposed Bankruptcy Code Changes on Leases," CLE International, Austin, TX, faculty, October 1999
· Participant, 2006 Bankruptcy Law Roundtable, Texas Lawyer Roundtables, Houston, TX, October 3, 2006