Sheldon M. Kline is a partner in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's Washington, D.C. office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Kline represents clients in labor negotiations, in bankruptcy, federal and state court litigation, and before administrative agencies, particularly the National Labor Relations Board and the National Mediation Board. He has considerable experience in all facets of transportation, including the representation of international and domestic airlines, trucking companies, maritime, and ports.
Mr. Kline was Special Labor Counsel for Aloha Airlines, Inc. in its recent bankruptcy. In that role, he was responsible for achieving the termination of the carrier's defined benefit pension plans, negotiating a final settlement of all claims with the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, resolving with the PBGC controlled group liability claims, and addressing claims made by the PBGC regarding financial transactions involving the carrier's pension plans. He also has extensive experience in dealing with the PBGC to resolve complex issues under ERISA.
Mr. Kline has extensive experience in the federal government, having served for eight years at the U.S. Department of Labor and nine years at the National Mediation Board. While at the Mediation Board, Mr. Kline was involved in the mediation of a number of major collective bargaining disputes, including pilots, flight attendants and mechanics at major domestic airlines. He was directly involved in the government's legislative efforts to deregulate the railroad and airline industries.
Represented domestic airline in its collective bargaining dispute covering 23,000 flight attendants
Assisted airline in the negotiation of a second pilot contract
Brought to successful closure a first pilots contract for worldwide freight carrier
Represented several domestic and international airlines in negotiations covering pilots, flight attendants, mechanics, and reservationists
Litigated complex issues related to the Railway Labor Act's collective bargaining process and represented carriers in interest and grievance arbitration
· Member, American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
· Member, Virginia State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
· Mr. Kline has lectured on a variety of subjects, including labor relations on the commuter railroads, management's view of the mediation process and representation case developments within the National Mediation Board.
· Critical Employment Law Issues to Consider In a Turbulent Economy, June 12, 2008, For HR Practitioners and General Counsel
· IATA Legal Symposium 2008, February 10, 2008